Rallye 350 - HELP!!!?????

How can you if an OLDS is a real Rallye 350 car - are they coded in the the VIN# or in the cowl tag? Looking to buy one and wanting to make sure it's real. Thanks for any info

Rallye"s can be faked easily...I believe that the paint code would be something like -- rather than a letter or number, indicating a special paint code if it is a rallye. I believe also the Olds history center may be able to tell by the vin. Sorry Thats all I can help with.

It's a difficult car to fake starting with the exclusive shade of yellow, if you dig deep enough into the car to make certain that its yellow all the way and not a change of color. Black interior was the only selection offered. Bench seat was standard, buckets optional as was the console. They do use a dash dash -- for the special order paint code on the trim tag. It was a mid model year introduction so time built has to be Feb. and later. They all left the factory with ramair hoods, aircleaners, dual painted sport mirrors, painted bumpers, Super Stock III wheels sport steering wheel, 4bl 350, dual exhaust with notched rear bumper and striping. They could be based on either the f-85 or Cutlass S trim package in two dr hardtop or two dr post body styles. Most Cutlass options could be ordered on the car. No vinyl tops though! Henry

I forgot to mention the most notable feature the trunk lid mounted spoiler!

I would still say that a Rallye look alike would be easy to make...after all its only a 310 HP Cutlass with a special yellow paint that could be ordered on other cars that year...It wasnt exclusive to the rallye...Wings are plentiful...aftermarket or original....the same with the ram air hoods and even air cleaners...Striping kits are reproed. It is easy to de-chrome bumpers and paint em. I doubt the seller would let a perspective buyer dissemble the car to look for the original color...As for the interiors...Id say the majority interiors in 70 on Cutlass/442 cars would be black. Easy to come up with...A lot of things can change on a car thats been around 33 years...My opinion only...

The only other things that I could come up with are that the Rallye 350s were Lansing built, so the letter M needs to be in the vin. Cylinder heads must have the number 6 cast on the head. The only sure way to tell a real Rallye 350 is through the original paperwork. If the carpet is original, the broadcast sheet may still be under the driver's side front seat. If so, W-45 will appear on the sheet.

Ron

Thanks for the info - the guy that has it for sale says it's a real Rallye - buckets, 4spd, console - original ram air hood and OAI, original wing, #'s matching, 391 rear end - he says he has a copy of the original title and protecto plate - I was just wanting to make certain this was a real car before I bought it