What model carb is correct for 1965 401 A/T Riviera

psychostang

Hello!  Andrew here, from Lutz, Florida.  Purchased a 1965 Riviera out of Colorado, last June.  Was supposed to be an all original barn find.  Was not.  Engine serial number shows it to be from a 1963 Buick Le Sabre, with 2b carb.  Carb has stamp 4180s on base.  I believe this is a 1966 400ci carb, but I could be wrong.  My question is what should be the correct carb, for a 1965 Buick Riviera with 401 and ST400 auto trans?  I've included a pic of the eng serial as installed, and my vin.  By the by, if anyone has seen the correct block for my vin, please let me know.  

Riv eng vin 001.jpg

IMG_20170725_101457.JPG

Post a picture of the Engine Production code.  It's on the same surface as the Engine Serial number you posted but on the passenger's side of the Engines.  It will be a two letter code;  a J for 63 and another letter.  It's the other letter that will positively I D the Engine.

JR - 285 hp, 401 cubic inches, 10.25 : 1 compression ratio.  

According to the 65 shop manual, the Carter AFB 4 barrel carb is #3921S for the 401  w/ auto trans. The intake manifold casting # is 1363782. That # is shared with 64, 65, and 66 401's, but not 63.

Do you know if the intake manifold has a date code?  I wonder what the difference is between a 4180s and 3921s.  They both have heat riser choke.  That's my problem right now.  The choke was stuck, and I was able to free everything except the valve inside the housing.

Edited by psychostang (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, psychostang said:

Do you know if the intake manifold has a date code?

It does but I have no reference for decoding them. Little arrows pointing to ????. Probably not too important with a non matching number block.  Do you have any idea how the 63 engine was connected to the 65 transmission? The crank hubs on  63 and 64/65/66 are different.

If what your saying is true about the crank hubs, then this may be just a 1963 block.  Rotating assembly may be from somewhere else!  I truly don't know.  I'm not taking it apart.  This car is not even driveable,   I'm missing the taillight harness, and front/ rear bumpers are barely hanging on.  I've got a lower ball joint to replace on the right front, and it needs a booster.  I"m in the middle of doing a 4 wheel disc conversion.