1960 Rochester 4 Jet

avgwarhawk

Finally had to throw in the towel on the 4 Jet.   She would fall on her face no matter what I was doing with the gas pedal under my foot.  It is hard for me to determine if this is an original build.  The Buick has 33,000 on it.  At any rate, the accelerator pump below looks to be leather.  The floats that support/work the valves that allow gas to flow into the body did not have rubber stoppers. These are metal half balls that seated on the inlet.  I left these in and did not replace with the rubber one provided in the kit.  Made no sense to me as ethanol gas was not making these deteriorate. Why introduce rubber when it is not needed.    At any rate,  throttle response is excellent.   No hesitation at all.  

9CEJo5j.jpg        

Glad everything worked well!  The Viton-tipped float "needles" happened after your car was built.  They were perceived to be an upgrade and better, in the 1963 time frame?  Keeping the original metal items is probably a good move if they had been working all of these years.

The earlier accel pump cups were leather, with the blended-rubber pump cups happening in the later 1960s, I believe.  Just fluff the leather and go again, usually.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The Viton float needles which look like a ball bearing are in great shape. The seats as well. I would say these are an upgrade. I kept them in place. As a result there was no need to bend float arms to get correct drop, etc. Then it is safe to assume the carb was rebuilt at one time. I only replaced the pump and of course the gaskets. I did not use anything else offered in the kit. I'm fortunate to have the carb tag so to get the correct kit and pump. That's always a help. 

• Like 1