1926 fuel line

rjp

Yep - that's where my one is routed. 

When I got my car the original line was in place, but there was a rubber line running along the chassis also near to the metal line.

I removed the rubber line and checked out the metal line - it had a hole about 6" long worn in it where it had rubbed on something - presumably the muffler - at some time in the past. I cut the damaged section out and put a new section of line in with double flare fittings.

Roger

Edited by theKiwi
Changed "steel" to "metal" for the line, which is copper, not steel (see edit history)

Many copper lines were tin plated in that era, at least speaking from a residential plumbing standpoint. I tin-plated the exposed portions of the fuel lines for our 9B, and while maybe not perfect, it's easy and aesthetically more consistent. The vacuum line on the manifold was apparently original to the car, and I wanted the others to match. Just a bit of tinning flux on the copper and some heat (no gasoline in the lines).  fuel.thumb.jpg.2cefa3f2d480c0aa3c5b02e23a234c2d.jpg

Edited by joncoon
grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The Franklin drawings call for Dull Nickel.

I have looked at some of the "do it yourself" Nickel plating kits available on Amazon, but so far just left things the way they are - my vacuum tank to carburettor line is original and has a small amount of the nickel left, but I had to make a new manifold to vacuum tank line and so right now that is copper.

Roger

IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9819.JPG

And since I was digging through the photos, here's the "patch" I put in the fuel line under the car...

One end is in the double flare fitting, and the pipe is running alongside the damaged section - you can see the section that has been worn down to the inside of the pipe.

Roger

IMG_0714.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rjp said:

wow, thanks guys.  I bought the line but I think it is 1/4 id.  Is there a elbow on the 26 gas gauge?  good pictures that helps me a lot I donot have any thing to go by.

Do you have the Series 11A parts book?

It shows all these things in reasonable detail, so you can see the various items - and then membership in the Franklin Club gets you access to all the factory drawings of these parts.

This page on the club website lists all the publications, and you can find the Series 11A parts book shown there - you actually buy it at Amazon.com

franklin-repro-web-list.pdf

My car does not have an original gauge/outlet on the fuel tank currently (something I'm working on) 

The line needs to be ¼" OD otherwise it will be very hard to get fittings for it to fit it to things like the fuel gauge, the vacuum tank

Roger

Edited by theKiwi (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, rjp said:

Yep , I look through a lot of the master drawings, but mist some of these. Is there a drawing of the gauge float , what size is the cork ? I do have the parts book but did not see it

No, the gauge is shown whole as a purchased part, but if you contact Jeff Hasslen - you can find his contact on the club website -  I think he might have reproduction floats available to sell - I haven't got that far yet as the only intact(ish) gauge I have is in a tank and I've had it soaked in Kroil for ages before I try and get it out without breaking it. The one that came with my car had to be smashed to get it out, and it was broken above and below, and a couple of spares I was given were also broken. One of these days I'll brave it and see if I can remove the one from the tank without breaking it.

Roger