Buick Wire Wheels

50jetback

I'm seeking views from experienced Buick Forum members and my question involves both Pre and Post War parts so have opted to post in the General area.

I have a 1955 Buick Super Convertible and think I would like to run a set of Kelsey Hayes wire wheels on it. I have seen a number of sets advertised on this Forum and Ebay. The range of asking prices vary greatly.

I own a full set of ASH 24" wire wheels including a spare ( 5 in total ) and a full set of 5 lock rings and 5 hubcaps. These are the larger wheel centres, lock rings and caps for the 6 cylinder or master Buicks and fit from 1918? up to 1924?  I think they are referred to as A5. I have attached a photo of these. I was going to use these on a project but this may not eventuate.

I am contemplating advertising to swap the ASH wire wheels for a suitable set of 1955 Kelsey Hayes wires and spinners. If each party were to look after their own freight ( expensive - USA to Australia and Australia to USA ) how would the sets of wire wheels compare in value. Straight swap or biased one way or the other?  

sidecar 009.JPG

sidecar 010.JPG

sidecar 011.JPG

Edited by 50jetback
spelling error (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart,

nice set of wheels indeed. Buick has been using  these A5 sized hubs until 1928, I have them on my Master Six, indeed with 21" rims, 72 spokes. The locking nut reads "A5 W.W. CORP" instead of "ASH-WHEELS", and "BUFFALO" instead of "DETROIT". Not sure when this change occured.

I bought my missing 6th wheel for USD 400 quite few years ago, w/ lock ring but w/o nuts/cap.

Good luck with your project.

Josef

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:40 AM, pepcak said:

Stuart,

nice set of wheels indeed. Buick has been using  these A5 sized hubs until 1928, I have them on my Master Six, indeed with 21" rims, 72 spokes. The locking nut reads "A5 W.W. CORP" instead of "ASH-WHEELS", and "BUFFALO" instead of "DETROIT". Not sure when this change occured.

I bought my missing 6th wheel for USD 400 quite few years ago, w/ lock ring but w/o nuts/cap.

Good luck with your project.

Josef

Thanks for your response Josef.

• 5 years later...