1937 Century coupe: buy this one before I do...

Matt Harwood

I don't often do this, but this seems like a heck of a lot of car for not nearly enough cash that one of you guys should probably get into your garage.

201711212003-GCCNDY913-29.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Buick-Century/162772632272?hash=item25e60142d0:g:PKoAAOSwhVxaGE6-&vxp=mtr

Yes, I know there are a few things that are incorrect, the trunk needs to be finished, there's a little pitting on the grille, etc., but a '37 Century coupe with sidemounts for under $25 grand? You're crazy not to buy it. If it's laying around next week when I get back in the office I may take a pass at it, spend a few thousand dollars to finish the trunk and reupholster the seats, and sell it for $40,000. Or you could do it and have something awesome.

I have no affiliation with Gateway (in fact, I strongly recommend seeing any of their cars in person before buying) but this seems like a situation where someone wants a car gone fast and the dealer doesn't have a good grip on its value. This is one of those chances that you will kick yourself over in coming years, so maybe make the move this time. Or another dealer is going to grab it and price it out of reach for you (that would be me, ruining the hobby once again). I'd even wager that it could be bought for $22,000 or thereabouts...

Consider this fair notice, because this is a great buy. Get off the porch and into the game.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Wow! If this was 6 months from now I might have gone for it! Sure it needs some things, dash panel needs to be re-woodgrained etc, but it looks like it's all there! I wish they had put in pix of the engine/underhood/underneath the car, though...

Cheers, Dave

Don't make excuses. Six months? Feh. The only thing that happens in six months is that you'll be six months older and you've lost six months of fun with a new car.

If you look on their main site, it appears to have dual carbs fitted and a decent undercarriage.

http://gatewayclassiccars.com/indianapolis/1937/buick/century-S913.html

I might buy it just to get the carbs and manifolds and put a single carb on it to make it correct. Win-win for me.

• Haha 1