63 headlight knob keeps coming off

riviadrian

My headlight knob keeps coming off in my hand when I pull it.  The shaft it attaches to has notches on the end to hold it on.

Apparently the inside of the knob had something that grabbed the notches that is now worn away.  Is there any reason I can't just glue or jb weld it back on?  Seems like an easy enough fix, but I thought I would run it by you all before I did it.

Thanks!

-Adrian-

JB Weld is fine.

To remove the knob and shaft as an assembly from the headlight switch, you reach in and depress a small, spring loaded button on the side of the headlight switch (behind the instrument panel) with your finger while you pull the knob/shaft out.  So gluing the knob on will not cause a future problem.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim,

JB Weld done, and works great.  I've had to re-do several things on this car since it is my first restoration project and I am learning everything for the first time.  

I appreciate the input on my seemingly obvious questions.  Sometimes the fear of doing something wrong slows the process, but I love the car and the challenges it seems to alway present.

-Adrian-