Generator Rebuild

Beemon

When I click the link I get the wrong page also. But I copied the www.summitracing part (no https), pasted it into my browser (Google Chrome) and the Summit Powergen page came right up. 

I picked up the generator today. They marketed it as a Chevy nomad generator, but it was a reman unit so they gave it to me for free... still have yet to save the original one, but now I have one that works. Just need to pop off the pulley. I did some research, all the 12 volt armatures for the big body generators are the same, so it must be pulley sizes for different engine demands and operating ranges. I'm sure windings and field coils improved over the years, too. Maybe the adjustment hole is cocked differently? This one is just like my original, so we're good to go, just in time for the Friday night cruise. 

• Like 1

Yes I was polarizing them.

This is a common misconception. Regulators come with the correct polarity (positive or negative ground).

Generator fields need residual magnetism in order to start charging. "Flashing the Field" is what "polarizing" really is called. You are polarizing (getting the residual magnetism in the correct polarity of North and South) the generator field iron.

Now, I know what you are saying " I do this polarizing at the regulator!" . That is right, in order to do this procedure (flashing the field) with the shortest piece of scrap wire, you jump the Battery and Armature terminals at the voltage regulator. You can also jump the (and this assumes AC Delco regulator and negative ground system) Armature terminal of the generator to the positive terminal of the battery. Of course any safety person will tell you that is not a good way to do it, as sparks at the battery terminals will cause an explosion of the hydrogen and oxygen vapors present around lead acid batteries. 

This is why you never see a shop manual or other instruction say to flash a field (polarize a generator) at a battery terminal, They will always say to do it at the regulator terminals.

Enough physics lesson, back to your regularly scheduled program.;)

• Like 2