'67 Special dip stick

Joel 67

I'm restoring a 1967 Special coupe basket case. It has the 300 V8. I have been able to locate most parts without too much trouble, however I am missing the dip stick tube. I have purchased a Chevrolet repro, but it's too big in diameter. I've called many old car salvage yards, to no avail. Someone out there has had the same problem, at least I'm hoping so.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

Joel, I am very familiar with the 64-65 300's, not so much with the 67 but I suspect they are the same.  In the earlier models, there is no dip stick tube, just a hole in the block between the spark plugs in the middle of the engine on the left (driver's side) into which the dipstick slides.  If you are missing a dipstick, I have a good friend who might have one and I'd be happy to provide his email address in a PM.  If the '67 300 has a tube then I'd stand corrected and withdraw my comments.  Are you certain it is a 300 and not a 340?

Thanks, ol'yeller, yes I'm certain its a 300. I do have the dipstick. It now makes sense. The hole in the block is too small for a tube. The hole is however large enough to accept the dipstick. I just pulled the oil pan and measured where the dipstick ends up in the pan just beyond the windage tray and it seems spot on. I really appreciate the help, as there are no pictures in the service manual specific to the dipstick. Only picture I could find was the cutaway shot of the front of the engine with the top of the stick visible . Also looked at cars for sale on eBay, no good pictures of the left side of the engine. No cars in my area. Also, couldn't find an assembly manual for 67, I guess I should settle for a 66 assembly manual, as they are close. 

Thank you again.

Ahhh the joy of working on old cars.  Parts are sometimes hard to scrounge up.  I'd suggest cultivating folks near to you and elsewhere that you can share and swap parts with.  Joining your local BCA chapter and of course, the BCA are a great way to start. I am more partial to the '65 Skylarks but I understand the struggle. The parts we have in common with other more popular A bodies are readily available from aftermarket suppliers like OPGI and others. Parts that are specific to your car only are sometimes hard if not impossible to find. Sometimes the only way is buy a parts car that has the parts you need. There was a company that I know has changed hands and may not be around anymore, The Buick Farm (buickfarm.com).  They offered mostly NOS stuff and had some of the more obscure parts.  Their pricing wasn't too bad considering what they had. This information is years old as I haven't done business with them for a looong time.  Good luck with your toy!

• 2 weeks later...