fuel sending unit/gauge

rlcokc

Going to replace my fuel sending unit and just want to make sure I get correct one. My understanding is the GM gauge for 1936, actually up until 1964, use 0-30 ohms resistance--is that accurate? 0 for empty and 30 for full? I should have searched before posing as I found several posts addressing my question and confirming.

'Rod

Edited by rlcokc (see edit history)

Rod, we both have 36 Buicks.. I rebuilt my insturement cluster and gas tank at the same time. My cluster had both pieces of glass broke and was smothered in rat droppings, so was a complete take apart and put back together. Are you are familiar with the "pocket" between the two pieces of glass the gauge needles have to fit in?  Anyways, I bought a Bob Drake 0-30ohm sending unit(approx.$40 ebay) for the `40 Chevys, just a sending unit with no gas pick up tube. I did all the float sweep adjustments to fit my tank. Then with the unit out of the tank and my gas gauge (mine was out of the cluster) hooked them up to power and checked needle sweep, its sweeping just fine... So I put it in the cluster, checked sweep (as you know the scale is on the glass not the gauge face), well when I check sweep with sending unit moving the float up and down, the needle went past "Full" and  needle stopped on 1/4 mark, so I removed the gauge and carefully bent the needle toward "Empty". I had to take the gauge out a few times and bend the needle until "I" was satisfied with the sweep and the scale on the glass. I also had to adjust the needles on all my gauges, making sure they were not rubbing on the glass. Also when the cluster is in position in the dash with power off, the gas gauge needle will gravity drop below the scale empty mark, I got mine adjusted to with power on, float at bottom, needle is right on the E mark, and with float fully raised, needle is at the top of the sweep slightly below the F mark. You have to be extra careful making sure the needle is in the "pocket" when putting the gauge back in to the cluster or you`ll have a severely bent needle. That`s my experience.. Chances are if your cluster is all original, with the new sender the sweep of your gauge may be right on...   Tom

Appreciate the warning but toooo late. I have several gauge clusters of have broken the needle off of one gas gauge and bent severely a couple of others. Not so much because I didn't know but becuse I'm clumsy and inpatient. thank goodness I buy in bulk and have a couple of gauges I believe to be good. Those needles are really thin and easy to break and bend. Putting in and taking out of gauge cluster one must be really careful. Handling as well. 

I purchased new tank from Tanks, Inc advertised for chevy pickup. Haven't fitted yet but fellow board member said fits like a glove and appears it should. It is not quite as deep,front to back, but with straps tightened don't believe it should be issue. I'm going stock and need to figure out filler neck but shouldn't be too big an issue.Appreciate the response and help.

Only time will tell how much adjustment will be necessary and of course with me handling the gauge how much I have bent the needle before installation. 

Rod