Strange high speed miss 53 Mercury

I have been interested in buying a certain 1953 Mercury.  It is a still beautiful older restoration.  Yesterday I test drove the car to a show, following its owner in another Mercury.  It ran great from take-off and at all speeds as high a 60 mph.  I decided to see if the Merc-o-matic had a passing gear.  I've never before owned a flat-head Ford product, only Y-Blocks.  When I pressed it to the floor at 60 it began suddenly to miss.  I let off of it and it stuttered around a bit and leveled out.  So, I tried it again and the same thing happened.  When we got into town and were doing about 35, I pressed it to the floor and it took the gas fine.  Do any of you Ford guys have a guess as to what is wrong with it?  When we got back I asked the owner if it had an electric fuel pump...he is 85.  Oh yes, he replied, and added "I forgot to turn it off this morning."  Is it possible it was getting too much gas?  It felt to me it was more like it was starving for gas.

The fuel system on a 53 Merc is almost the same as the 54 Merc. The differences are very minor and you would trouble shoot them the same way. Fuel starvation when you floor it at 60mph could mean that the fuel line is partially clogged.

The car should not need an electric fuel pump.