1930 Peerless Six-61A question

Peerless six-61A

Hello All,

My father and I acquired a 1930 Peerless Six-61A and after many searches have yet to identify the "capsule" on the side of the Delco Remy 631F distributor. It seems it has to be removed to change the condenser. I don't want to damage it so any guidance is much appreciated. Please see picture.

Thank you! 

peerless distributor #1.jpg

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a 1930 Peerless 6-61A in person, and there is not a similar setup in the Peerless 1927/28 Six-60 Instruction Book I own. An Auto-Lite distributor was in use at that time. Are you referring to the cylindrical part or the bell-shaped one? My finely-honed automotive detective skills cannot discern which car you have (guessing you picked up one for sale in New York State or the one that was in Missouri until recently, but don't know). Please type an entry in the New Peerless Owner Department topic here on the Peerless Forum and tell us about your car. Quite a few 6-61 and 6-61A cars survive. Thank you for using the AACA Foums for the first time!!  

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your response Jeff. My question was about the bell shape on the side of the distributor. The manual refers to this version of the Shaler ElectroLock as the "round job" and was apparently only used in 1929 and 1930. I posted some pictures of the car on the new Peerless Owner Department topic. This is a wonderful resource,

Peerless six-61A,

Thanks for your mention of Springfield on the other post. Now I know it's the Peerless owned by Bob Ventress in Prescott, AZ and before that by the Paula Cudworth family(sold in June, 2016), and Carl Warren, going back to 1953 in the Springfield, MO area. I corresponded with the family after seeing it for sale in Autabuy Magazine. They sent me a letter with photos....and serial numbers for the record I keep of all remaining Peerlesses, K.P.A.I.E.

Like I said before, the 6-61 is an interesting model -- technically a 1929-model-year car, but so many orders came in when introduced at the '29 NY Auto Show it wasn't till early '30 that they stopped building them. The ones finished after 9/1/29(about 4,000 out of 8,097 according to serial numbers) and after a certain serial number were called 1930s. They did make a few changes: side as well as top cowl vents...calling them 6-61As...and I think fender lights instead of cowl lights. Officially, all the 1930-1932 Peerlesses were straight-eight cars(Standard/Master/Custom), and the 1929s were three sixes & an eight(6-61/6-81/6-91/8-125). These 1929-ish cars have survived in greater numbers(70+) than all other model years.

Glad you like the Peerless Forum. It's important because not too many books are out there on Peerless except some owners and sales manuals. If you think about it, this would be a book if you printed it out and bound it(try reading all of it in one sitting!). Also glad you wrote a post on the "New Peerless Owner" thread.

Jeff Brown

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)