Speedometer inop

Paul G

Ok, I know there is several posts on this topic, I have read most of them.  1989 16v manual trans. My speedometer is erratic along with my tach, odometer and trip odometer inop.  I replaced the gears in the speedo head..  also my cruise control works...could be distance senor?

Thanks

paul

Edited by Paul G
update (see edit history)

But yes, speed sensors go bad as well and are not so very tough to replace if youre under the car. a single 10mm bolt(kinda have to feel it and not see it so much) and a couple two pin leads.  There's one basic test I've used to determine is a speed sensor is not functioning.  One job it has(other than speedo operation) is to hold the idle up around 1500 RPMS while rolling up to a stoplight to prevent stalling.  Basically the test is this, as you roll up to a stoplight at 15MPH or less, depress the clutch and as you decrease speed, the 'idle' should stay above 1500(ish) RPMS until 3MPH or less.  So roll up, depress clutch, at 10MPH are the RPMS falling right to UNDER 1000?  If so the sensor isn't functioning.  The sensor should hold the idle up at 1500 or so until about 3MPH.

interesting, will try that.  I replaced the speedo 'head'  I did remove/reinstalled the distance sensor cleaned the contacts and the odometer is still inop.  Speedometer and Tach are functioning as they should (seem to get better the more I drive the car)

thanks for the input...

paul