1924 Buick Distributor

27donb

My 1924 Buick distributor gear is razor thin.  I have another gear from a later distributor.

I removed the distributor from the housing, but noticed, I have no adjustment cap, or adjustment bolt.  A previous owner apparently pinned the worn out gear to the shaft.

I would like to go back to the original style of the tapered adjusting bolt, so I can loosen it and adjust the rotor position.  But it now appears I need another distributor, or at least another unmolested distributor shaft.

Any ideas?

040817 buick 24-45 starter generator (1).JPG

040817 buick 24-45 starter generator (8).JPG

040817 buick 24-45 starter generator (9).JPG

I believe with the spare stuff I got with my Master there is a good useable shaft I can send you. The die cast distributor case is junk.

On the Master, the son of the previous owner said that his dad and uncles worked up an IHC(DELCO) unit as a replacement. Almost identical to your worn example. It works great. And a plus is that the cap, rotor, points and condenser are off the shelf from NAPA. All together less than a set of original style points. I replaced the die-cast unit in my standard with a later cast iron one like you show. It just dropped in and works great.

DSCF1853.thumb.JPG.55cb674eafa85202bcbbe73d3addfd61.JPG

My old standard die-cast unit on the right. Cast iron on the left.

Larry

• Like 1