How to remove the spare on Continentals.

Tom_Overfield

So... I finally mounted the spare tire on the back of my Continental and was looking at the tire cover and cover plate that needs to complete the process.  The only way my son and I could figure it out was , removed the spare.  Place on carpet hup cap side up,  after riveting the 4 rubber spacers inside this ring, cleaning out the groove on the ring and pushing the rubber into that space, around it,  set the cover plate on top of the wheel.  Taking the wheel cover and starting at one side, slowly work this cover aroung the ring and onto the tire.   Once assembled, the whole thing can be placed on the car and the three studs tightened.  If I ever have a flat while out, I'll call a flatbed to get it home.   But is nice looking once back in place assembled. I'll add some photos later.

Tom

Tom,

Way back when I had my '42 LC conv,( about 1967)I was told by other owners or read in "Continental Comments", that

best way was to put a very used  tire carefully in the cover as you described and carry your good spare in the trunk; that is if

your back was strong enough to lift it out! ---- Larry

In the deep, dark, distant, dreary days when my '47 Continental was my daily driver, I carried an extra spare in the trunk and left the outboard spare for decoration purposes only!

I still have that car but it hasn't left my barn since it was evicted from the 50th anniversary LCOC meet of the 1947 model year for being 10 minutes late to the meet in Houston due to a severe Texas thunder storm!

It was the ONLY 1947 car entered in that meet.  Go figure!!!!  The car is still "all Lincoln", but it has a 1957 Lincoln V8 engine and a 1957 GM/Lincoln 4-speed automatic transmission.  It was the only car to be entered in BOTH the Eastern and Western LCOC meets in 1970. It was originally sold in Porta Rico and has a kilometer calibrated speedometer.  It's fun when it reads 100 KPH but is only going about 70!  I'd insert a photo, but this new format is intimidatingly complex!

06-Mt. Snow, VT. 09-1970.jpg

14-San Francisco, CA. 08-1971.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp
attempt to add photos (see edit history)

8 hours ago, larry butcher said:

Tom,

Way back when I had my '42 LC conv,( about 1967)I was told by other owners or read in "Continental Comments", that

best way was to put a very used  tire carefully in the cover as you described and carry your good spare in the trunk; that is if

your back was strong enough to lift it out! ---- Larry

Larry, you exactly right about the spare in the trunk business, no way in the world could I lift it outta that deep recess now.  AAA and a flatbed works fine for me.

Back  in the 50's and 60 we always had a spare in the trunk.  Going to all the national LCOC meets from 1959 to 1980 and driving one of our Lincoln 's daily we never had a flat or needed the spare..  Spare condensors  were needed twice.  A V12 will run on 6 but weak.  Lee