1921 Maxwell transmission removal

Guest junk17

I'm in the disassembly phase of the restoration of my 1921 Maxwell and need info on transmission removal. Is there some trick? It doesn't slide off a splined shaft like all other transmissions I have known. Also, what would be the engine valve clearances? Are there any "shop" manuals out there for the Maxwell? What was the original engine and transmission colour (mine is grey)? Were there other body colour schemes other than black? Thanks!

Junk17, If your clutch is the same as my 1917 Maxwell it is being held onto the clutch spider by three large nuts accessible through the access panel on the upper part of the transmission bellhousing. Once the 3 nuts, washers and springs are removed the cone clutch and the transmission can be removed as a complete unit. I had problems adjusting my clutch after rebuilding and tore up my spider by backing the nuts off too much and then starting the car. If I were you I would count how many turns each nut takes until it comes off the stud. If your car was functioning fine when last used this will be a reference point for reassembly.

Howard Dennis

100_1179.JPG

100_9903.JPG

100_9901.JPG

100_9900.JPG

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, junk17 said:

I'm in the disassembly phase of the restoration of my 1921 Maxwell and need info on transmission removal. Is there some trick? It doesn't slide off a splined shaft like all other transmissions I have known. Also, what would be the engine valve clearances? Are there any "shop" manuals out there for the Maxwell? What was the original engine and transmission colour (mine is grey)? Were there other body colour schemes other than black? Thanks!

Hi 

I concur with Howard and he's more of an expert than me - mine is a 1919/ 1920 Maxwell 25 and I employed a mechanic to sort out my cone clutch which had suffered the same problem as Howard's... the three adjustment nuts for the clutch had backed off - and actually had incorrect size springs - and were fouling the housing at the front end of the gearbox ... so, as he suggests , be careful and count the number of turns for the nuts to ensure the same when re-assembling ... I also had problems from previous owners mechanic who had assembled the clutch pedal arm incorrectly. 

It was a hot hot topic a while back:

Wishing you every success 

peter

Many thanks to HDDENNIS and ICEROLYUK and comments from Peter for the important information about my transmission removal question. I will follow the suggestions and count the number of turns on each spring during removal. But still wish me luck! I notice the colour of the transmission and engine block in the HDDENNIS photos to be the same as my Maxwell. I am now further convinced that this is the original colour for these components. Thanks again.

Sorry I forgot the question about paint colour - well here is mine from 12 months ago ... a mix of light grey and dark green - I think the grey is the original on mine 

latest problem with mine is the charge is very week from the dynastart which I'll have to investigate soon - anyway best of luck with the restoration 

peter 

IMG_7366.JPG

We have a 1916 Maxwell and just removed the transmission, removing the three spider bolts and springs did the trick for us.  We did the turn counting and also rotated the flywheel after a couple of turns on each bolt so as to not put a strain on any one side as we loosened the springs.  Appeared to work fine.  Does anyone have a lead on a replacement bearing for the pilot bearing or any other bearings in the transmission?   Also searching for a remedy for a slightly chewed up intermediate starter gear, that is the one that slides forward and engages the starter and flywheel.  We are also in the process of converting the old flywheel to a later year starter ring.  As with everyone else we would appreciate and knowledge on the topic.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, 16Max38Ply said:

We have a 1916 Maxwell and just removed the transmission, removing the three spider bolts and springs did the trick for us.  We did the turn counting and also rotated the flywheel after a couple of turns on each bolt so as to not put a strain on any one side as we loosened the springs.  Appeared to work fine.  Does anyone have a lead on a replacement bearing for the pilot bearing or any other bearings in the transmission?   Also searching for a remedy for a slightly chewed up intermediate starter gear, that is the one that slides forward and engages the starter and flywheel.  We are also in the process of converting the old flywheel to a later year starter ring.  As with everyone else we would appreciate and knowledge on the topic.  Thanks!

For bearings try  George Bachleda Olcar Bearing Company 135 James Creek. Southern Pines, NC. 28387 910-693-3324 George is great to deal with and has found me many bearings no one else could.

Howard Dennis

2 hours ago, 16Max38Ply said:

16Max38Ply, Check these pictures. Do you need BA193?  I'm pretty sure I have a spare.

Howard Dennis

Page_11.jpg

Page_39.jpg