Radio Antenna Basics?

A project for a snowy day has been to trace the antenna wires on my '60 DeSoto.  I have two under the dash, two antennae mounted on the rear fins, and wasn't sure what was between. Only the right antenna had a wire to it but it is a different wire than  what runs under the sills to the radio.  

Now that I have dissected and studied most of the situation I have a few questions.  

Why a Coaxial cable? Though at a distance, the outside layer seems to ground the antenna to the radio but where does the inside wire go.  Does that go directly to the antenna and doesn't touch the car body or chassis in any way?.  I'd like to run a new cable front to back but the body of the antenna doesn't have a simple outlet for a terminal and I need to repair what is there somehow.

Thank you for any input.  It is always appreciated.

Justin

• Like 1

The outside braided layer is a shield like on a microphone cable, the inner wire is the lead from the antenna to the radio. Your radio has a female jack built into the case. (maybe marked ANT) The cable end should have a metal male piece about 1/2" long and 3/16" diameter that fits in the radio jack.     

Thank you 28 Chrysler.  The cable from dash to fins is in three pieces. Only on the center portion does my little AA battery circuit tester not light up to indicate an unbroken conductor from the male plug to the inner female receptacle on the other end.  I am guessing that is my problem causing limit reception of few stations.  

AND:

Norman Pitkin,

I believe I have the Mopar 802 in my '47 DeSoto.  It is the vertical mount model with the chrome pushbuttons? The antenna wire from a standard antenna with a plug like the one described above fits but it was a snug fit that had to aligned carefully for the final squeeze.  I had trouble with it, mostly because I am not that coordinated when I am upside down and crooked and my face is smushed by the brake pedal.

Thank you both,

Justin