1910 Model 16 Buick

jeff_a

There are some nice photos of a white 1910 Buick Mod. 16 Roadster at the Mark Hyman Ltd. site. This vintage car showroom is in St. Louis and the car is for sale(in the low six figures -- way cheaper than their 1953 Skylark). I've spent some time riding in one of these, and you could have a lot of fun with one.5751_1.jpg

photo: hymanltd.com

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Very nice car.  The Model 16 was the sporty version of the Model 17 touring car (same running gear and front end, different body, running boards, steering column, rear fenders), 35-40 HP, and great driving cars.  The color is incorrect for a Model 16, although since they were building the "White Streak" smaller cars at the same time, one could argue that they could paint any car white.  Factory standard colors were red running gear with red body, and ivory running gear with dark blue body.  I see a number of modifications to the car, mechanically, that, while aren't original, make it a better driver. 

I've been restoring a 1910 Model 16 toy tonneau for longer than I care to think about.  The rear section on my car is removable, so that you can have a roadster similar to the car pictured (but without the gas tank behind the seat).

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Car was sold to the Dallas Texas area.  On Sunday January 14th, 2024, this lovely Buick will cross the block at Mecum Kissimmee auction.  There are great road cars.  Think Hyman asked $125K, interesting to see where it ends up at auction.

I've personally inspected car, a few nitpicks as to originality and liberties taken during restoration, but overall a very nice car.

• Like 3

And the bid goes on........... bid to $80K.  I personally think Mecum was the wrong venue for a car like this.  I know I would not sit through an auction lasting days of 100's of everyday cars just to wait for a chance to bid, so I don't think the right clientele was in the audience.  I have also never been impressed with the way Mecum promotes the cars online/catalog or by the way they treat their clientele.  I once was chasing a car at a Mecum auction and they were totally unprofessional at representing the car or creating interest in the car.

• Thanks 1

80k sounds a little low, but if same owner had it (who bought from Hyman), over 40k hit would be tough.  I’d think car should sell closer to 100k, my personal opinion is that it has a new body, would love to see “before” pictures but would bet it was rough.  As to rarity, I kept a roster on 1909-10 Models 16 and 17, right at 60 known in existence, about half and half between sporty 16 and sedate touring 17.

• Like 3