Star car 1909 maybe?

Leif Holmberg

Confirmed by our Star man that there is not a lot to go on with the photo but he could not see anything that would eliminate the Star, and some features such as the 'C' shaped rear bracket for the front spring which was a noticeable Star feature.

He thinks it is a yes to a Star, most likely a twin-cylinder say 9hp of 1908 Swing Seat Tonneau; the swing seat body style was disappearing by that year. He feels sure that the body is a 'swing seat tonneau', the handle releasing the front passenger seat which then swung towards the driver, permitting access to the rear seats. There's no room for a conventional rear door,  or other means of access.

The Star was founded 1883 and finished in 1932. It was based in Wolverhampton near Birmingham, initially making bicycles then motorcycles, and made the Star-Benz in 1899. Then made De Dion based cars, Panhard based cars and Mercedes baased. By 1914 is was the sixth largest UK make. Made trucks during WW1. Also made eight Harem Wagons for King of Saudi; no men were to enter the cars during construction. Sold out to Guy Motors in 1928. Guy Motors was a Wolverhampton-based vehicle manufacturer that produced cars, lorries, buses and trolleybuses which lasted to 1981

Not to be confused with Star automobiles made by Durant Motors 1923-1928 .  Durant Star automobiles had to be renamed  Rugby for sale in the UK and British Commonwealth due to the name Star being under copyright by Star Motor Co of  Wolverhampton.

Regards

Vintman

PS   I note Paul Tonstrom was not very complimentary about the Star's hill climbing abilities; need t go up them in reverse!

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

Thanks for your help Vintman and nzcarnerd,probebly not the very best  choice as  as à taxi car. Leif in Sweden

I was being facetious but I guess in that era a speed of maybe 20 mph was they wanted to achieve. Still faster than a horse drawn vehicle.