Unusually Trimmed 300 SL

ejboyd5

For years I've been intrigued by an unusually trimmed 300 SL Coupe that appears on the cover of an advertising brochure published in the early ‘60s by Sigrist Motor Co., 125 Glenridge Avenue, Montclair, NJ.  Recently, I serendipitously found another photograph of this car on the net under the heading of “Mercedes 300 SL – Spectator Vehicle, Sebring 1963.”  Any information about this vehicle or what might have happened to it would be most welcome.  If you have any pictures of unusually appointed 300 SLs, please post them here for all to enjoy before they re forever lost.

3268875953_d21d81ce5a_b.jpg

Ah yes, a serial or chassis number would be a fair start,  Unfortunately, it is not available. All I have are two pictures of the car which show New Jersey license plates bearing the characters, "GHO 929."  As you know, privacy codes have made searching state motor vehicle records almost impossible and, in any event, such records from the 1960s were mostly purged ago when they were converted to computerized form. Even Mercedes-Benz has been caught up in this privacy frenzy and will provide information about the birth and delivery of a car only upon documented proof of ownership,  Sigrist Motor Co. is long gone as are most of its employees from the '60 including their well known shop manager, Otto Vogler, so that avenue of inquiry is closed as well.  For persons not familiar with the many difficulties involved in a modern day search for a car's history it is common sense to make a suggestion such as "serial number," but in reality that is only one small clue that in limited instances may be of some aid.   Bottom line - in this case we have only photographs of a car that at one time in its life carried a most unusual paint scheme.  It is my hope that the uniqueness of this scheme will trigger the memory of someone from the northern New Jersey area who might supply me with some further information about this car. 

I have heard they require 'proof of ownership' as well as the serial number of the vehicle.  The only other avenue would be to email a letter to their Classic magazine: https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/lifestyle/classic-magazine/  and see what kind of response you will receive.  I've noticed that magazine likes to focus on the 'odd & unusual' vehicles that were special ordered over the years.

Craig