My Dodgy 49

34 minutes ago, ArgyleEarwax said:

will using the "air horn vent tube" allow me to fill the bowl of the Strindberg carb? I want to get it to run enough to see if the fuel pump is working or not

Yes it will fill from there.  Be careful as to overfill, which will flood the intake before you have the split second to notice it.

I usually use a very small container, that I can "guess" how much is needed, then stop.  You don't need a "full" bowl to run the engine a moment.  The main jet(s) in any carb are at the very bottom, but a higher level is needed to allow the accel pump to fill, then squirt.

Not that it may help you, but I always use a one gallon thinner can with a low mounted soldered fitting to just gravity feed any carb during start-ups of barn finds. I have spare fittings or in most cases, a short length of steel gas line to screw into the stock inlet of carb.

Do whatever is easier or available for a one time job like yours  You can alsouse a plastic fuel tank from a small engine like certain outdoor equipment have

Thanks F&J, 

I was trying to use a Gatorade bottle with a small slit in the top, and a hole just big enough to fit over the air cleaner stud, but that ended badly. I will need to plumb the fuel tank eventually but want to try and get it to draw from a bottle near the rear axle. (Fuel line is broken there) 

51 minutes ago, ArgyleEarwax said:

Thanks F&J, 

I was trying to use a Gatorade bottle with a small slit in the top, and a hole just big enough to fit over the air cleaner stud, but that ended badly. I will need to plumb the fuel tank eventually but want to try and get it to draw from a bottle near the rear axle. (Fuel line is broken there) 

I rarely fill through that vent tube,...but I do have my tool to do it still waiting  :)  I use a medium diameter of vacuum line and a tiny funnel'

An engine like yours will run at idle speed a very long while with a one liter bottle, so you can use the smaller size, too

Edited by F&J (see edit history)