What is the correct clip for the throttle kickdown

alini

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just kidding...sorry...I know that wasn't funny & I know it didn't help brother. Here's a slightly better answer.

I am still struggling with the proper name of the kick down switch (which I think the book calls the Stator & Detent Switch) & switch pitch switch (which the book calls Idle Stator Switch). My crude description is probably all wrong so excuse me if I am confusing others...anyway that is material I should ask in a separate thread.

To get to the point, I hope u are asking about the clip that secures the silver boxy thing next to the carb. If so, the book shows a clip called a retainer...I don't have such retainer but here is a pic of something similar to what the book shows. 

Hopefully, someone with the right retainer can pop their hood, snap a pic & post the pic here for us to see

image_zpsh5ct1rwt.jpeg

51 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I'm just kidding...sorry...I know that wasn't funny & I know it didn't help brother. Here's a slightly better answer.

I am still struggling with the proper name of the kick down switch (which I think the book calls the Stator & Detent Switch) & switch pitch switch (which the book calls Idle Stator Switch). My crude description is probably all wrong so excuse me if I am confusing others...anyway that is material I should ask in a separate thread.

To get to the point, I hope u are asking about the clip that secures the silver boxy thing next to the carb. If so, the book shows a clip called a retainer...I don't have such retainer but here is a pic of something similar to what the book shows. 

Hopefully, someone with the right retainer can pop their hood, snap a pic & post the pic here for us to see

image_zpsh5ct1rwt.jpeg

Stator would be defining the vanes in the torque converter.  The term "switch pitch" is a nickname just like "nailhead" is.  The stator (vanes) change (switch) angle (pitch).  The detent controls the kickdown (passing gear.)  

Looking at the clip above would lead me to believe that the end of the rod that goes through the linkage has a grove in it.  Therefore, I would think that a hairpin clip would work if it's big enough not to get caught up or bind in the linkage.  ????? 

Image result for hairpin clip

If you want to find the clip that pictured in the previous post.  Open this link, find a picture of the clip you want and click on it.  You will then be taken to the website from which the picture was taken.  Have your credit card handy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hairpin+clip&safe=strict&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=662&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihncjp16PPAhVkxoMKHRMBC1YQ_AUIBygC#safe=strict&tbm=isch&q=carburetor+clips

Ed

Not to offend anyone but my dad used to call these "Jesus clips."  "If you drop one, only Jesus can help you find it."

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks Ed.  I was hoping to find out what the car came with and would like to keep to that style since it's what the car designed with and the safest bet.  I don't want to just buy any clip that will work only to have it fail and me not know.   Granted the switch pitch isn't a safety problem but I don't need a clip bouncing around my carb and throttle linkage

Haha...sorry to confuse u Ed. I was afraid I was gonna do that. But thanks for studying the pic & giving it your best guess. The retainer in your link is NOT a 65 Riviera retainer. Not sure if the 63-64 guys can apply such retainer.

Chris, maybe we are all a bit confused. In this pic taken straight from the manual it clearly labels the "retainer" that connects the Stator/Detent Switch eylet to the carb linkage. Is this the retainer u are looking for?

image_zpsunwwcyzm.jpeg