A Paris Riviera

60FlatTop

I have put a few evening hours into giving my Riviera a refurbish in preparation for the 2017 Nats. Taking a break this morning and doing a little daydreaming I came across this article: http://www.car-revs-daily.com/2015/12/27/1963-buick-riviera/

That could be THE RIVER in the background. Some interesting details.

Bernie

Close but just a bit off.  The hood ornament is definitely wrong - Frankenemblem.  The cowl ducts should be painted body color, the engine is the wrong color, what appear to be Mustang mirrors, and the wheel covers are from a later year.  Interesting how the photographer chose the errors to highlight in the pictures.  Otherwise, it's pretty close.  How much will it bring?  Was it really tooling around the southern coast of France as implied?

It went for 22,400 Euros, $25,000. I guess you know I'm happy it went for that.

A lot of work went into that bombsight adapter.

I am pretty sure that is the Rhone in the background. That's the river the Buick models are named for.

The Claret Mist paint came out better than mine. I was almost 32 years old when I did my paint job and we used a red oxide primer. The dark primer never let the bright maroon highlights come up. It always had a sort of brown cast.

If you have concerns with the little changes in this one don't miss my '64 in Brookfield. Fresh paint and upholstery are in the plans. Whether some or  all the plans materialize is still not assured, but it will be my last go around with the car and when Bill Mitchell said "Give me a Rolls-Royce with a Ferrari grille" I'm taking it literally. Think this in a first gen Riviera:

The reversed doors won't make it, but '39 Roadmaster hood releases might replace the door handles.

Bernie