Stall problem continues

bgl

Hello--

Here is a timeline of events in an effort to resolve the stalling issue on my Reatta:

6-20-16:  Take car in for oil change.  Up to this point, car has never stalled.  After paying for the oil change, I go to start the car, and it stalls.  Does not start.  Got service rep out, and car started.  Got onto road outside of dealership, and it stalls.  Got it started and back to the dealership, and it stalled again.  Left it there for examination.

6-22-16:  Dealership replaced idle air control motor.  Runs good that day.  Next day, stalling continues.

8-5-16:   Take car to independent repair shop.  Replaced ignition control module.  Went to pick up car, and it stalled twice on repair shop's cement apron.  Got it home in spite of stalling.

8-29-16:  Take car to dealership again.  I had studied up on stalling causes and was convinced it was the crankshaft position sensor.  They replaced it.  Stalled in the shop. 

The last time I tried to put gas into, I believe it stalled about 50-60 times on the 4 mile trip.   

Have an appointment with another independent shop.  He thinks he can get it.  Let's hope.  Not having fun with my newly purchased Reatta. 

I almost hate to jump in here, brakes I know, climate control I know, drivability ------ this is my best guess.

The problem started after an oil change, the oil filter is in one of those not quite convenient locations and it was done at a dealership, so it was probably done by the lowest man on the totem pole and I gotta say, take a real close look at the wire harness near the oil filter.

Shouldn't ever have to be touched to change the filter, but the car is 25 years old, cable ties break, cloth tape rots, things rub where they shouldn't and you won't know till you look. Not sure on this, but I think that the cam sensor and fuel pressure sensor wires both run through that lower wire bundle.

Thanks very much for responses.

Forgot to mention: 

8-28-16:  Service engine light came on.  Dealership determined cam sensor interrupter (magnet) is gone.  It is a $10 part, but tons of labor.  It is not thought that this has any role in the stalling issue. 

It is a 1990 car.

What is strange, car runs fine up to oil change, and since, nothing but problems.  In approximately 15 minutes, this car went from great to awful. 

Does the car run until going into closed loop? If so a bad OX sensor can cause stalling once warmed up. I also agree on checking wires near the filter. The oil pressure switch and power steering switch are in the area.  If it stalls when cold in open loop fuel pressure need to be checked, ICM verified. The Cam sensor will not cause stalling unless the sensor is shorting the power wire the runs both the cam and crank sensor. 

Thanks.  All of your input is appreciated and will passed on to the next shop. 

I can't help but think something happened during the oil change.  The car ran perfect going in, and has not run well since, except for brief intervals.  Stalling is always an outcome.  As was suggested, a wiring harness may have been damaged. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

Thanks for your concern.  To review this entire unfortunate situation, here goes:

On June 20, took car in for oil change.  Everything was fine up to this point.  Came out, and car was stalling.  Left it at the dealership.  They replaced air idle control motor.  Worked for a day, then began stalling again.

On August 5, a different repair shop replaced the ICM.  When I got there to pick it up, it stalled 3 times in the parking lot. 

On August 22, "service engine" light came on. 

On August 23, had appointment to replace CPS.  No effect on stalling, but it was my decision to try that remedy.  The light was on due to the cam interrupter falling out. 

Finally, a friend advised me of a guy who was really great at fixing stuff.  Thought I would give it a try.  The problem was getting it there. 

On September 30, took the car to the recommended shop.  After that, many things were tested, such as battery cables/connections, mass air flow sensor and more.  He found two mouse nests, so checked for chewed wires.  On October 6, he replaced the ECM and the stalling quit.  He ran it again the next day, and no stalling.  So, it is believed the problem of stalling is resolved and the fix was to replace the ECM.  Next week, he will install the cam interrupter. 

Not sure how much all this costs, but I had over $800 into before bringing it to this last shop.  If it turns out it is fixed, I can move past the expense.  I was beginning to lose hope that anyone would ever figure it out. 

Thanks for your support and recommendations!! 

Bye

Bruce