'37 Coupe Flathead 6 Distributor

Guest Redbox

Guest Redbox

1937 3 window coupe with a flathead 6.

When I got the car last year a lot of the parts that should have been mounted on the engine were in boxes in the trunk.

I have had the gas tank and radiator redone and are now installed.

The pictures show the vacuum advances and the distributors that I have. The distributors are autolite 4001 and 4101.

Question is which ones should be on the engine and your thoughts as to what I need to do to get it ready to start.

Thanks,053.JPG052.JPG

Steve

Steve --- According to my Motor's Auto Repair Manual, Auto-Lite distributor IGW-4001 is listed for the 1936-37 Dictator model and IGW-4101 is listed for the 1938-41 Commanders. The table lists the same specifications for both distributors. Looks like you have one for the car and one for a spare.

(o[]o)

Guest Redbox

Using the Studebaker catalog for All Sixes 1928-1940 I have the 4101 Distributor and the AL Spark Advance Modifier installed. Doesn't look right First photo

Now on the the ignition switch. I have a S1204 in the box of parts. Second photo

The third photo shows what is hanging inside the car.

Tell me what to do.

Thanks,

Steve

005.JPG

014.JPG

007.JPG

Steve --- I have an original ignition switch that is correct for your '37 Dictator.  I'll try to take pictures of it tomorrow.  It is comprised of a switch, an armored cable, and an integral cap that fits to the coil mounted on the firewall. Also requires a bracket to hold the switch to  the dash.  

I'll get pictures of how that all goes together also.  I know how this is confusing.  I had the same problem you're having trying to figure out how someone else jury-rigged the wiring when I restored my '37 Coupe-Express. (Dictator wiring system).  Tom Lewis

If you want to call, my number is listed in both the SDC and ASC current rosters.  e-mail is studebaker4829@live.com

Tom

I also have a spare ignition switch, cable, etc. and think it is keyed already. Tom wrote first, so deal with him.

Good guy.

I do not have a coil, and haven't seen one lately. Bought one a couple of years ago

for a $$ price, and was supposed to be tested, but when I tested it, it did not test

any better than the other two spares I have that I assume are worthless. Anyone out there have

any data different than the usual YouTube date for testing with the ohm meter since all three spares

have almost exactly the same reading on two different ohm meters, and all lower than the numbers I

see posted.

In addition, I think from your picture that you have one of each type of distributor, with the shaft length

being different.

Finally, I have a couple of parts, 37 related, laying around that I would love to sell. Anything you are

needing? drdon1111@aol.com.

6 hours ago, 37S2de said:

Steve ---I'm sorry for the slow reply and no pictures yet.  I got all caught up in a spur-of-the-moment dash to Florida to look at a '37 President.  I should be home Thursday.  Hopefully I can remember then to do as promised.  Tom

Thanks Tom! There is still too much to do and not enough time.

How did the '37 President look?

Steve

Edited by Redbox
forgot to add (see edit history)