Pitman Arm and Drag Link

Taylormade

Yes , I Think you have it right now, I was half wrong . See how the back of keyed slot is farther from back of enlarged tube . This gives room for spring and will accept shocks inward . Take  the end pieces only and assemble with pitman arm in ,if it can not be pulled out of keyed slot it should be safe . Do same test on other end ,with out spring . Use Tee inner of spring ,I agree with Spinneyhill it reinforce and if spring breaks stops ball from coming out . Tells you if wear in keyed slot is in need of repair , the way I see it .

Edited by ArticiferTom
spellin (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Now you have it sussed, the big question is, what is the plan? It is difficult and there seems to be no easy solution.

I sent the pitman arm and my drag link to the gentleman who did the Auburn pitman arm in post #10.  I also sent him a one inch ball bearing.  It will probably be a month or more before I get everything back, but I will post the results.

Interesting, the drag link pdf on post #37 and illustrations at post #39 show the springs to be inside by the tube at one end and outside by the adjuster at the other end .  My GM shop manuals show the springs always on the inner side.  Seems interesting that engineers at two different major manufacturers come to opposite conclusions.

Edited by Guest
spelling error (see edit history)