'47 SUPER

autonut

Haven't done anything on my '47 Super yet but am getting quite confused.  The Seventy Years of Buick book I have, states that the Dynaflow did not come out until 1948 and then only as an option on the Roadmasters.  But my '47 appears to have the dynaflow.  Is the book wrong or what??  Can's get underneath very well to look at the tranny, but the shifting lever has only an up/down configuration, not the usual "H" pattern on a standard gear tranny.  There is no labeling or indicator stating drive or reverse. Can anyone straighten out a very confused person at this point?  Trying to interchange a '47 engine with a '48 engine with dynaflow.  The '48 engine also seems to be from a Super by the engine number which also disproves what is written in the Seventy Years book which states it was only available as on option on the Roadmaster.

Help!

Lee

Sorry but I did finally get it into a figure H so is a standard shift which is what it is suppose to have.  But next question was wondering what it would take to convert the '48 engine with a dynaflow to a straight shift providing the engine block is essentially the same.  Wondering if the pilot shaft for the transmission would fit in the '48 crankshft??  Answer Anyone?

Edited by autonut
correction (see edit history)

All Roadmasters had a 320 ci motor.  That is why the front fenders and hood were longer to accomodate the larger engine.  Supers all had the smaller 248 ci.  The motor mounts are different on a 48'.  Dynaflows were An option in 48'.  The manual transmission should fit with an engine that had a dynaflow, but not the other way around without modufications

You answered one important question and that is that the manual transmission will fit on the engine with a dynaflow. The other conflict still unresolved is the engine # 54655105.  It appears to be the correct number for a '48 Super but it has the Dynaflow attached.  Only the Roadmaster was suppose to have the Dynaflow and even then it had to be requested.  All the Buick literature states this.  But did they make some exceptions???

On 7/31/2016 at 8:21 PM, jackofalltrades70 said:

All Roadmasters had a 320 ci motor.  That is why the front fenders and hood were longer to accomodate the larger engine.  Supers all had the smaller 248 ci.  The motor mounts are different on a 48'.  Dynaflows were An option in 48'.  The manual transmission should fit with an engine that had a dynaflow, but not the other way around without modufications

The crank flange on dynaflow engines is larger in diameter than standard shift engine. I have heard of folks enlarging the hole on the stick flywheel to fit but the holes for the flywheel bolts have little metal left next to the enlarged hole. Forged cranks will survive a lot. Maybe you could swap the stick crank into the donor engine and have stock bolt on for your flywheel. I hope I remember this correctly, as I hate to give people incorrect info. The correct stuff bolts together hard enuff without folks giving incorrect info! I use a book called "Buick technical tips" often for well researched info of this kind. Must need reference material if I can't even recall the correct book title, right? Available from the West MI chapter and advertised in the Bugle regularly, it has paid it's cost , just under 20 bucks, many times over! Highly suggest purchasing, especially with what you are getting into. Good Luck!

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb! (see edit history)