37 d-5 re wire

re- wiring my 37 dodge, upgrading to 12 volts. the question I have is can I run a negative ground on this car with the original starter? I have done this with n old allis chalmers tractor, but It appears that I have a direct short due to the starter.  I did an up grade to a 12 volt  starter solenoid and voltage regulator and alternator. Will I need a new starter? if so where can I find one .

Thanks

You're probably already too deep in to go back to the original 6 volt set-up, but with the proper sized cables, clean terminals, and good wiring, 6 volts works fine and did for many, many years.  My 32 Dodge started in the coldest weather in Syracuse, New York back when I was in college and I expect it will when I finish restoring it.

A 6 volt starter, positive or negative will work, the way the starter is wound it will still turn same direction, voltage amp direct portion, 12 volt lower amp, 6 volt higher amp , need larger cable, 

main thing I fine 12 volts spins faster and bendix engages faster, may shear , 

i have been running 6 volt positive ground stater on 12 volt negative for years on cars and tractors, only problem was bendix.