49 Coronet, Seat Removal

I know this will sound dumb, but i need to ask anyway.  I'll be putting seatbelts in my '49 Coronet, and i need advice on removing the seats.

Must i remove the entire seat from the car, or can I simply remove the seat cushions?  If just the cushions, how do they come out?

I suppose as long as I'm asking dumb questions, i should ask how to replace the itty-bitty turn signal indicator bulbs in the dash.

The car is box stock, with the original 6 volt electrical system.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

The seat bolts to the floor on each side, two or three bolts if I remember, but you can look under there and see.  Once the bolts are free you can just move the seat forward and probably won't need to remove it to install seat belts.  Be aware that the floors on these old Mopars are very prone to rust, as water collects under the carpet padding and stays there, causing floor damage.  Simply bolting the seat belt mounts to the thin floor, especially if it is rusty,  will not afford much protection - you may want to add bracing under the floor during installation.

The cushions (the ones that you park your butt on) just lift out. Grab the bottom in the front of the cushion and pull them up.

If you are going to remove the seat frame then removing these cushions will give you easier access to the bolts that hold the seat tracks to the floor.

There should be 2 bolts in each seat track anchor for a total of 8. Unbolt the seat tracks and the entire frame can be moved/removed which may not be needed to add the seat belts.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks Joe!

I can well imagine that the combination of gravity and my butt would hold the seat down in most circumstances.  The lap belts may never be needed, but . . .

Having to remove the entire seat should expedite matters.  I wonder what I'll find under there.

TT

Edited by Thom Thumb
typo (see edit history)

• 2 years later...