My rendition of cam magnet

ChrisWhewell

Being half blind and half concerned about dropping the normal cam magnet quick-fix, I decided to first JB a little nylon washer about Mr. Magnet.   Having noticed the mode of failure of the last magnet that was in my '90, it appeared the face of the plastic atop the magnet was wiped off, I adjusted the position of the nylon washer so the magnet face is about 1.5 - 2 mm backed off from the face of the sensor.   The washer permits more JB weld to be present at the interface of my little device and the cam sprocket.   Not that it matters, as many others have had long success with the other method.   My goal was to just have an easy insert and the extra surface area afforded by the presence of the narrow washer, just felt right, FWIW

DSC00001.JPG

• Like 1

I was going to do a custom grind, barb it so it'd push in from the sensor access hole akin to how they push in from the backside of the sprocket, but ugg, no reason to.  Some enterprising American other than myself might make a mould to enable that and sell a few, there's a lot of 231 V6's out there that would pay around 25 bucks for a pop-in piece.   Not a life-changer invention but worth a little and would help a lot of folk out.   I'd pay 25 for one

You got it !!   Hey Padgett, that was a pretty slick fix you came up with on that magnet, thanks sooo much.   

I epoxied (JB) a thin layer over the exposed portions of the magnet, and also over the hole in the back.  The old plastic magnet housing was all crumbly, embrittled.   The new one will be subject to chemical attack by hot oil on its exterior surface, I sealed the holes to prevent oil from entering around themagnet itself - that would mean the plastic would be subject to attack from the inside and the outside.   This way, only the outside sees the oil.   Will it matter ?  Maybe not.  Or, maybe.

Quick question, just curious.... Do you think the magnets of today are stronger than the ones from back in 1990 ?  

On my car, the face of the magnet holder is what failed and inspecting the sensor, it appears the old one was maybe contacting the sensor slightly.  So when I put the washer around mine as in the photo above, I located that washer so the magnet will be about one millimeter farther away from the sensor.  I seriously doubt it will matter, but in any event we'll find out tomorrow about this time.  What I didn't like on the stock magnet housing are those two little arms that locate it.  Tiny little arms, I just felt better putting that nylon washer on there.  Its pretty light weight so I don't think it'll have any impact on the overall balance.

Success !!   For the first time since I bought her last September, Sybil (my 90) isn't throwing an 041 !!   Plus, she's a little peppier.  Next is to install some Bosch III injectors....

Thanks for the link Guest of You All Here, I'll try to keep her running below the Curie temperature of that magnet !!