Additional ground

ChrisWhewell

I've seen quite a few posts about cleaning the ground connections up by the battery, but in all my reading didn't see any for the one in the photo, that is located atop the engine, just behind the belt tensioner pulley, and thought I'd share it.   I admit I don't know which circuits these grounds are for, but I cleaned them as a matter of course.  Of course.

DSC00002.JPG

Good call. Many a malfunction has exhibited on these cars due to marginal groundsx and there are many of them due to the extensive electronics involved. I have had to add a couple of non-factory supplemental grounds as well (notably the trunk light which failed in both my 88's at different times despite no change in stock wiring or disassembly of any part of the body). Go figure.

• Like 1

And when the attitude problem, level of drama created, and required time invested get to be excessive, you can:

turn it off

ignore it

lock it it the garage

and it can't talk back. Unless the security system is flaky and the horn sounds randomly. 

:)  Humor is definitely the best medicine.  Your post brings to mind that old song by the band "Queen" , titled "I'm in Love with My Car"   :)

Well, a good day for me so far, I finally got around to putting that cam magnet back on.  24 hours from now, she'll be a little more sequential, instead of operating in batch mode !!  Have a good one man.

On 7/9/2016 at 2:37 PM, ChrisWhewell said:

I've seen quite a few posts about cleaning the ground connections up by the battery, but in all my reading didn't see any for the one in the photo, that is located atop the engine, just behind the belt tensioner pulley, and thought I'd share it.

Thank you for sharing that photo. It will be very helpful to others. I took the liberty of adding it to the tutorial,  Ground Terminals & Junction Box Location , on Reatta Owners Journal. If you do not approve please let me know and I will remove it ASAP.

No problem, thanks alot Ronnie.  That ground on the manifold gets exposed to a lot more moisture and heat obviously, than the body-mounted ones and the contacts were definitely looking oxidized.  I pinch a piece of sandpaper between my thumb and forefinger with the ground wire connector sandwiched inbetween and rotated them all back and forth a few times, got a lot of aluminum oxide off of them.  Have a great day.    Oh, one more think, if you took the entire contents of ROJ and put it on a CD, I'd be willing to pay $50 for it and I bet others would too, as a way to keep ROJ funded a little maybe ?   just a thought...

Thanks for allowing me to use the photo. I know there were grounds in that location but I have never had reason to go looking for them.

I happy that you find ROJ useful. I would like to have ROJ on a CD too but I've not had the time to do the conversion.I will keep it in mind and when I get some free time I will look into what it would take to do it. If I could do it easily the price would be very reasonable. Some people have said they would like to have the information in .pdf format. There was a discussion about it on here a few years ago but it generated very little interest. Most people want things to be free and sometimes get offended when you offer something for sale.

$50 would be a good deal, for all that know-how.   anybody is free to download all of it, but it would certainly take time to do.  One might think, "oh, I'll just get what I need for now", not realizing that 10 months down the road they'll need some other little fix ---- and nothing lasts forever, like what if all the servers go down, or other weird thing happens where its not accessible on line ?   Same could go for this forum too.  we have a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people and the info is very valuable IMO.   Maybe solicit pre-orders and if enough people sign up, pull the trigger on it.   Hire a student to do it on the cheap maybe ??   I'm so glad I put that magnet on my cam sprocket, I love the pep of this car.   The short wheelbase makes me think I'm going faster than I really am.