1933 dodge transmission numbers

Vintagecarguy

Parts books are being reprinted. Assuming that it is the same/similar to the Plymouth of the same era (a fairly safe bet as '33 is when Dodge and Plymouth started sharing a lot of the same drivetrain parts), it probably only has parts that match up for '33 and '34. They did a number of changes in '35 to add synchromesh.

9 hours ago, ply33 said:

Parts books are being reprinted. Assuming that it is the same/similar to the Plymouth of the same era (a fairly safe bet as '33 is when Dodge and Plymouth started sharing a lot of the same drivetrain parts), it probably only has parts that match up for '33 and '34. They did a number of changes in '35 to add synchromesh.

ply33,

thank you for the information! It is interesting that you mentioned the '35 transmission. The gentleman who owned it before my grandfather said that they replaced the original '33 transmission with a '35 transmission and he didn't replace the parking brake hardware. He gave us the parts for it, but I was wondering if the '33 parking brake components would fit to the '35 transmission?

Thanks again.

Vintagecarguy

Could be. They made minor changes to the band mounting over the years so you'd have to verify the part numbers. I think all the floor shift mounted transmissions had the parking brake handle on the right side of the transmission, so even if the parking brake can't be swapped you could probably use the brake on the replacement transmission.

The '33/'34 are setup with the shift tower bolted to a frame cross member while later ones (not sure when they changed) have the tower bolted to the transmission. I have heard, but not confirmed, that you can fit later Mopar transmissions into the '33/'34 by swapping the top covers. There are a number of people I've talked to who apparently have done this to fit a '37 DeSoto overdrive transmission into their '33 Plymouths.

On 6/29/2016 at 10:28 AM, ply33 said:

Could be. They made minor changes to the band mounting over the years so you'd have to verify the part numbers. I think all the floor shift mounted transmissions had the parking brake handle on the right side of the transmission, so even if the parking brake can't be swapped you could probably use the brake on the replacement transmission.

The '33/'34 are setup with the shift tower bolted to a frame cross member while later ones (not sure when they changed) have the tower bolted to the transmission. I have heard, but not confirmed, that you can fit later Mopar transmissions into the '33/'34 by swapping the top covers. There are a number of people I've talked to who apparently have done this to fit a '37 DeSoto overdrive transmission into their '33 Plymouths.

ply33,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Thank you for the information.