63 Riviera- Brakes unable to loosen

Guest Grapeman

Guest Grapeman

So I went to remove the front brake drums so I could replace the left hand studs with right hand.  The manual said to turn star adjuster up to loosen.  I did that, how I realized too late that was actually tightening them.  Now they are so tight, I am unable to turn the star adjuster down to loosen.  It just won't move.  Any suggestions?

You need to push the adjusting lever away from the star wheel to back off the star adjuster. A long, thin screwdriver or punch is needed. Use this tool to push the lever away as you turn the star wheel. If you check your shop manual you will get a visual as to how the components relate to each other. Hope this helps,

Tom

Guest Grapeman

Thanks, got it.  I pushed a thin screwdriver in and it worked perfectly.  Replace the studs and all together now.

Glad to hear you're on the road again.  IF you decide that you ever want to work on your brakes again, a "brake adjustment" tool is inexpensive and easy to use for both expanding and contracting the shoes.  

Use this to expand and contract

Y50700.JPG

And one of these to remove and replace springs

You'll be surprised how quickly you can get the job done.

Ed

• 1 month later...

A little off topic, but I have a problem with my brakes becoming too tight over time.

Otherwise they work just fine but slowly the automatic adjuster makes the front brakes too tight and I end up with semi-stuck front wheels (=light grinding noise + very short pedal movement). I end up having to back up the adjuster over and over.

Any ideas?