Broken 1931 AC fuel pump bottom cover - options?

Guest lelandEOD

Guest lelandEOD

Last night, while wearing very slippery petrol-soaked nitrile gloves, the fuel pump from my '31 Model 67-8 slipped from my hands and fell about a foot onto my work table.  I didn't think it hit hard enough to break anything but upon further examination, I realized the bottom cover/spring perch housing had cracked in several places around the screw holes.  DRAT!  That material must be exceptionally brittle. 

So, now I'm in a desperate search to find a replacement.  Initially, I was hoping it was a fairly standard 30s-era fuel pump and that sourcing a replacement would be easy.  After a couple hours of Googling, I no longer think that's the case.  I do see some other AC model fuel pumps that appear to have a similar shaped bottom cover and am hoping some of you more experienced gents might know of some cross-compatibility or leads on where I might go to find a replacement part?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Original cover was "pot metal" and not all that good a quality. At least that is true of the AC fuel pump that is original equipment on my '33 Plymouth. On mine that same bottom cover that holds the springs simply failed around the screws. No dropping required. I noticed it because of the large amount of oil escaping from that part of the engine.

I had a machinist make me up a replacement from aluminum. And, of course, shortly thereafter I found a NOS replacement fuel pump for a fraction of the machinist's price. :( At least I now have two serviceable fuel pumps. :)

Without actually measuring, it sure seems like the covers were all the same across a number of makes, models and years and back then AC fuel pumps were used on non-GM manufacturers' cars too, so your search should not be limited to just Buick or GM.

Guest lelandEOD

Just an update... after a little more research, it appears the AC Model B pumps (although there are different main casings and top housings) all share the same bottom cover.  At least, I was able to find a Model B donor fuel pump from a Plymouth that has a bottom cover with the same AC casting number.  Whoo hoo!

This is a relief as the alternative involved sand casting my own replacement, which would be an adventure in and of itself.

Anyway, thanks gents!

Edited by lelandEOD (see edit history)