Brake rattle?

DAVES89

Two summers ago I swapped out my rear brakes on the Red to the Cadillac Eldorado calipers, pads and rotors. I am very pleased with how everything is and am not interested in going back to original equipment,but this spring developed a rattle in the rear. I knew it couldn't be the brakes so I got the car up on jack stands and crawled under the car with a "dead blow" hammer. I hit each rear axle at the wheel, no rattle. I looked at where the ebrake cables run through a bracket at the rear axle and gave that a whack. I got the rattle. I had some rubber laying around and wrapped the cables at the bracket with zip ties and gave it another whack to test, no rattle.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that not always is the rattle in the back due to the brakes. It could be something else.

Or try this on for size. On my 'vert shortly after purchase, I developed an obnoxious rattle on the rear left. Assumed (my first mistake) it was the pad retainer clip rattle so common on the Reatta. After a few days I pulled the wheel to check it and when I removed  the center cap, out plopped two lug nuts and wheel studs - they had sheared clean off the hub and were rolling around in the center recess of the wheel behind the cap. Lucky I didn't  throw a wheel due toy initial inaction on that one. Don't  ignore rattles, it could end very badly.