A/C repair

Guest wheelsport

Guest wheelsport

I'm in the process of getting the A/C back on line. I replaced the pump and the other necessary parts prior to charging the system but I find that there is no power going to the clutch. There is power to the fuse and the fuse is good. The wiring appears to be in good condition with no signs of trouble. I'm suspecting the switch, which is just a set of contacts. Can it be removed and cleaned or will I have to replace the complete controller?  

Guest wheelsport

I pumped it down but haven't installed the refrigerant. Its been 30 years since I did a pump down and charge. I didn't remember that the system needed something in it first for every thing to work. Old age takes it's toll. Thanks for the help.

On the much older cars such as any RWD MOPARS, it was not necessary to charge the system before you could engage the compressor, but now we have a low pressure cut-out switch that prevents compressor clutch engagement until the system is charged, at least to some point. Dump a can in after the evacuation, the compressor will come on and circulate the refrigerant but will quickly disengage if you do not continue to add at least one more can of refrigerant. Then check your sightless and add until it just starts to run clear without foam. A few bubbles as it cycles is OK, continuous bubbles indicate need for a little more.

Guest wheelsport

I have been an antique car restorer for years. I don't normally work on cars newer than 1980 and have charged a number of the older systems. That's why I thought the clutch needs power to start the charge. Even though my '89 TC is an antique, its a brand new car to me. The help is much appreciated!