73 Riv' Restoration

Guest treifer667

Guest treifer667

Hi new to this site, and to my inherited '73 Riveira. was my grandfathers and now i want to restore it. Only has 32k original miles on it, all tubes wires fluids and lines have been checked or changed. Interior looks brand new. however i will be having the outside sand blasted and re-painted to color code. 

Now for the topic of my post. i want to pull both bumbers off along with trim and weatherstripping off before taking it into the shop. i have figured out most of the trim and small bits by myself. but i can not for the life of me figure out or find how to take the bumbers off. does any one have link to disassembly process of this car? or any help is much appreciated.

73 was the first year for the mandatory 5 MPH bumpers. Collapsible shocks behind the bumpers come off with the bumpers. Unbolt the collapsible shocks from the frame and pull straight out, shocks, bumpers and all. You can then unbolt the shocks from the bumpers if want to get the bumpers rechromed.

Guest treifer667
5 minutes ago, steelman said:

73 was the first year for the mandatory 5 MPH bumpers. Collapsible shocks behind the bumpers come off with the bumpers. Unbolt the collapsible shocks from the frame and pull straight out, shocks, bumpers and all. You can then unbolt the shocks from the bumpers if want to get the bumpers rechromed.

So it is as simple as that on the front? I almost tried that, and being new to actually working on cars i decided to research before unbolting things i was unsure of. and tips on removing rear bumper as well? is it the large bolts that connect directly to frame?

Yes agreed, you absolutely need to get a Chassis Manual. I purchase one for every car I own. As advised, remove the 4 bolts holding the Bumper Shocks to the Frame, Pull straight out. Rear, remove bolts on Chassis mount,Should be 2 or 3 holding bracket to frame rail, pull straight out. Here to help, just ask.

.bump r1.doc

Edited by Tder1 (see edit history)