66 skylark big block upgrade??

Guest crabboyjimmy

Guest crabboyjimmy

Just threw a rod through the block in my 66 skylark. It was the original 300 motor and 2 speed powerglide.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1968  430ci wildcat motor and tranny. Will the motors swap ok, or would I have to modify and fabricate to accomodate the new motor? Would I need to alter my suspension and rear end etc...?

I've got a feeling that the new motor would  make the car a lot of fun

Yes it would make the car a lot more fun. In 1965 (and '66) when Buick dropped the big block engine into the A Body, they also upgraded the chassis to a boxed frame.  It is the same frame they put under the convertible A Body. I do know of some folks who have done this swap without the frame change but It handles much better with a frame swap.  Buick also added heavier duty springs and a beefier rear end with oversize rear bearings.  Motor mounts may be a fabricating issue.  

I had a 430 in a 1969 Riviera (much heavier car) and it was a torque monster engine.  It did a great job and while some have reported oiling issues with the 430, I had the problem addressed when I had the engine rebuilt.  The 430 was the replacement for the nailhead 401 and the stepping stone to the 455.  The 455 is better motor all around (my opinion) but the 430 did fine by me.

I guess you and I are the only ones who threw a rod through the block on the 300 as these engines are virtually impossible to destroy.  I did mine in my '65 convertible back in the 1960's when replacements were easier to come by.  I had a 300 V8 4 barrel in my '65 Skylark coupe and with a nice exhaust system and a 355 gearing in the rear end, it was a cruiser with plenty of grunt.  I think you would be happier and life would be easier if you could locate one of those engines and spend your money on a rear end gear change.  These engines are still around and not as expensive as big blocks either to buy or to rebuild.  The engine in my coupe had 140,000 miles on the lower end and was still running great when I sold it a few years ago. 

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

Guest crabboyjimmy

I think i want the 425 nail head.  Ive got a couple lines on some, but not sure what a fair price is. I think it'll really look nice in the car.  Im having fun w this build