37 special SEATBELTS

Guest jg_105

Guest jg_105

I am hoping to put my newly acquired 37 special on the road this summer for a couple of weddings we are attending.

I know that legaly to pass the safety I dont need seatbelts,   but I may require them for kids booster seats  (kids must have booster seats based on age and weight of the child)

I should have an official answer in the next day or two,  but at the same time I want the kids as safe as possible.

Any recommendations on seat belts?   Thoughts on ones from the wreckers?

Would you just bolt to the floor with some large washers?

or......?

Thanks

Mine are bolted to the floor.  Some argue that the frame is better, but if for some reason the body separates form the frame them you are in bad shape.  Depends on the condition of your body mounts I suppose.  Mine are all redone-no rust, all questionable metal replaced, etc, so if my body comes apart from the frame in an accident, I wasn't going to do well anyway.

The modern reel type wouldn't fit between the center post and the front seat.  So we had to make do with the style from an earlier era.   Have shoulder harness and lap x 4 and the center sets are just laps.

The bottom mountings are at the floor.

My '56 Roadmaster had seat belts installed in the 70's and the buckles were slipping, so I replaced them with new American made ones with the old style flip type. There are a few suppliers for these in Hemmings. Mine are bolted to the floor, with large washers. Mine is originally a California car, and is rust free. I prefer freshly made to stuff that may be past its' prime when it comes to safety.

If there is concern about how strong the floor is, and these cars were not engineered for seat belts, I'd use some large plates, rather than attach to the frame, but we are really only guessing which is best.

Keith