1960 Invicta 4dr Hardtop "Russian Roulette" Door Latch

HuntzNSam

Working fine yesterday (and since we got it), the driver's door wouldn't open this morning.  We had cleaned and greased it when we got it - had been sitting and had lots that needed lube.  We finally got it open, cleaned and greased the latch again, and the door worked fine for 4-5 times, then stuck tight again.  Got it open again, and manually rotating the gear, we can feel one position where it binds.  Feels the same with inside handle lifted or outside button pushed.  The door opens fine until it hits this spot.

The Body Manual doesn't seem to show a blow up of the mechanism.  The alignment of the strike looks good.  Is the door latch serviceable, and has anyone been there, done that?   We searched door latch and didn't find this problem previously posted.

Thanks in advance

HuntzNSam

• 4 weeks later...

Got it apart, cleaned, tweaked and back together.  Nothing appeared excessively worn.  The inside handle is adjustable, but we didn't find an adjustment on the outside pushbutton.  We bent the tab to reduce the required stroke.  Reinstalling the sliding rod clips required the most patience and resulted in minor blood loss.    Works great now!  Photo is case anybody else ever needs it.

DOOR LATCH.jpg

"So whatcha doin'?"

"I'm adjusting this."

"I know the difference between adjusting something and *********** with it. What are you **********I with?"

I thought I was going to end up in employee relations just for witnessing that one.

Bernie