Newsletter editors seminar at regional meets.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, Do we need or want to have a newsletter editors seminar at regional meets? We always have judging seminars before these judged shows. A good idea. Should we have editors get together for an hour or so to talk, hear others and get tech tips? This may be a good thing, we have many female editors who are not judges. But, I am both an editor and a judge, and time is limited. The newsletter is the life blood of the hobby. I remember Bill Smith and Jeannie telling the Philly gathering 5 years ago about the importance of newsletters. I would be happy to BS for 15 to 20 mins, like I did at Philly in Feb. People say I did good.<BR>Just my 2 cents. SalG grin.gifsmile.gif

Several years ago when the roundables were started, one of the frequent questions related to holding the annual meeting someplace outside Philly. This would be a logistical nightmare in addition to requiring a change to the AACA Constitution. When we really looked into the reason for the question, the answer was that the members wanted to attend some of the seminars.<P>Based on that we started the "export" seminars. They are the same as the most of the more popular ones at Philly, including a newsletter seminar. The export variety are at one of the meets each year rotating through the SE, Cen and West divisions. People in the east get a chance to go to Philly. This has worked out very well.<P>The next export seminars sessions will be during the meet at Nashville. As I understand there will be a newsletter editors seminar there.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

ronbarn, How come I never heard of "export" seminars? I get Antique Automobile and read it, and I have been a Philly regular for the past 6 years.SalG

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, We have to meet at Hershey! Ronbarn knows the schedule of that special dinner, he should suggest the date. SalG

Yes, there will be an "export seminar" for newsletters this year at the Nashville meet. Our new VP of Publications Dave Zimmerman will moderate and it should be pretty interesting. It will be held Friday 9 June at the host hotel (Holiday Inn Select). The exact room will be announced on a display board at the hotel lobby when you arrive. We are also having a great seminar starting at 9 put on by the PPG paint folks "Getting ready to paint." It covers prep, primers, fillers, sealers, etc. These kinds of seminars often include handouts that make great newsletter technical columns - in fact you editors may want to get in touch with your local auto paint reps, chances are they have some stuff ready to run in a series of articles thatll last you at lease half a life-time. The Newsletter Seminar will be held 11-12. We are also running a seminar of preparing your vehicle for show, and also membership that will include some thoughts on how to increase membership and involve youth. Another good idea for increasing seminar exposure at any National meet - the meet organizers can always contact some folks on the AACA speaker's bureau to arrange for some seminars. For our 1996 National Meeet here in Chesapeake, Va we ran a couple of very interesting seminars - collectable dolls for the ladies, also a wonderful vintage fashion show, and a technical seminar on paint/bodywork. Watch for announcements at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia for the location of next year's official "export seminars." We will also try to get something on the AACA web site. Terry