Mechanical clues on correct operation of S/P operation for 66 ST 400

After 5 long months my 56 48D conversion to a 66 401 with dual quads and a 66 ST 400 is complete and ready for test drive this Wednesday. I know there is a myriad of things that I should look for but, one particular mechanical issue I am unsure of what to look for. Is there anything that I can listen for or observe that will tell me that the S/P is actually doing what is suppose to? That is either at engine idle, engine revved up and of course while driving? Thanks

After 5 long months my 56 48D conversion to a 66 401 with dual quads and a 66 ST 400 is complete and ready for test drive this Wednesday. I know there is a myriad of things that I should look for but, one particular mechanical issue I am unsure of what to look for. Is there anything that I can listen for or observe that will tell me that the S/P is actually doing what is suppose to? That is either at engine idle, engine revved up and of course while driving? Thanks

There are a few things you can check operationally.The switch that controls at idle is located on the firewall. The "stall" RPM at idle (the rpm it takes to move the car with the trans), is higher at idle. If you have a dwell-tach tool for setting points you can check rpms to see if the switch is working to control the change in rpms from idle to off idle. I checked mine on the slight incline of my driveway. If I stopped the car but kept slight pressure on the pedal for a little higher idle, the car being in "high" stall in drive would hold on the hill. As soon as I released the pedal the car would start coasting back down the drive becuz in high stall, there is much more "slip" before the torque converter starts to move the car.'65 Grand Sport. Slight pressure on the pedal again holding. Many different aspects to the operation of that tricky option, but much easier to troubleshoot with in car tach. Love to hear more about your swap! Best of luck, Greg PS PM if you want any print info about switch pitch, I can send you text/pix if needed.