ADVICE PUTTING REAR CENTER ARMREST IN 1963/SHOUT OUT TO CLARK'S

Riviera63

Hi,

I have decided to put a rear center armrest in my 1963. I realize that this is not on option on the 1963 but, I like its functionality and look. I rode all the way back from the ROA show in Colorado Springs in the back seat of my 1963. My brother-in-law accompanies me on trips like that and I like to let him drive as his parents had a 1963 Riv and he has an appreciation of these cars. I can drive it the rest of the year. We had 4 guys in my car on the way back and between myself and the other rear passenger there was a soft sided cooler between us that worked well as a faux center armrest between us. That probably sold me on an armrest.

I know that I will have drill holes in the lower seat frame to attach the armrest. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this to their 1963? If so, are there any tips and/or advice that would be helpful before I go ahead and tackle this project? It seems pretty straightforward but, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would also give a shout out to Clark's Corvair. I ordered their rear center armrest upholstery. I thought it to be very reasonably priced and looks great. They not only give you the armrest cover but, they also give you the piece that covers the padded area behind the armrest already stitched and cut for size and fit. That will save time, money and a trip back and forth to the upholstery shop. If you are planning to redo an armrest this is the way to go.

Bill

post-151839-0-91094700-1456778579_thumb.post-151839-0-45034400-1456778594_thumb.post-151839-0-33929800-1456778617_thumb.post-151839-0-90885700-1456778636_thumb.

Bill, make sure you have the correct filler plate that fits below the speaker grill.  The plates used for the armrest option are smaller and your existing plate will not fit without modification.  I have not done a conversion but it is fairly straight forward.  I added this option when I had my 64 and 65.