Belvedere 6 - P25-3 Trans

TomP

Need so guidance from the pros. am offered the above engine and because I know nothing about these engines, a few pointers wouldn't go amiss. This engine came to the UK with the PT125 I purchased before Christmas but has only now come to my knowledge. The engine no. is  P 25*379198* and am I correct in thinking the 3 stands for Belvedere Plaza 6 - P25-1    Savoy 6 - P25-2   Belvedere 6 - P25-3

This is part of an email I had from the guy that sold me the truck.

"here is a link to the engine running

also the details from comperssion test

He did a compression check after shutdown and it shows valve work needed. The reading were as follows:
1- 35
2- 140
3- 137
4- 75
5- 61
6- 140
He rechecked the low ones after putting a little oil in the cylinders to seal the rings.
1- 40
4- 82
5- 68
"

a couple of questions,
  •  
  • If you look closely the Bell Housing is the wider type fitted to the Pick-ups, would the Belvedere also use that bell housing?
  • Not shown but it comes with a 4 speed floor change gearbox, as above would that be standard to Belvedere?
  • With the firing order 153624 the 3 cylinders that are down fire after each other 415 which makes me wonder if there is anything significant about those results
  • Might I be able to fit new valves and rings or would I be better to go the whole hog and rebuild it 

Your comments would be much appreciated. (I am capable of undertaking the rebuild myself)

Tom,

This is Joe with the 46 Royal parts car.

The P25 is the series # of the car/engine. For example, the 46-48 Chryslers were designated the series C38 so that would be stamped on the engine, too.

The other #'s are the serial # of the engine itself. They have NOTHING to do with the model or type of car it came out of.

There should be a data plate on the firewall of the car (usually on the drivers side) that includes all the info about the car.

So if this is an engine from a truck then the 4-speed floor mounted transmission is NOT for a passenger car and the bellhousing would be different.

Do you know how many miles are on the engine?

If I were going to use this engine I would do a rebuild on it, especially if you don't know the entire history or condition of it. When you tear them down usually there is other stuff you will find that needs attention.

If I am incorrect in anything I have stated there are people here on this Forum that are not shy about correcting anyone. The info I provided is "to the best of my knowledge".

Hi Joe, need to explain the P25 trans is in the UK about 70 miles down the road but the guy selling it wants a shed load of money for it, all I know is what is written above, he won't say the it came out of my PT125 but it does have the truck bell housing and floor change. I already have a trans on its way to me that I bought on Craigslist which is complete with all ancillaries from a 46 Dodge PU, that's down in TN waiting shipping, but I need another for my 34 PE PU that's why I enquirer about yours.

So from what you say it's a P25 engine which has been changed to take the truck bell housing and manual 4 on the floor box. Understand what you say about finding more to do once you start stripping down, to replace the rings the end caps come of the big ends etc etc . I wait to see what you have. Thanks Tom