MG M Type

001.jpg

This old photo is of my late Dad's MG Midget UW 5990 which he (Ted White) owned in the 1950s.   It was taken in 1950 at a British rally but although I can confirm the location there seems to be no other record of it.   Moving forward to 1980 when the MG was owned by MMM Register member John Butt. The M Type midget appears to have been restored and is featured in Thoroughbred and Classic car magazine representing the model at the Golden Jubilee celebrations shortly before closure of the Abingdon factory.

I can confirm the chassis number is 2M 0715  and the M type has a build date of 12th September 1929 as a red two seater.  There is no current record of the MG in the U.K... however,  as the registration number UW 5990 has not been transferred to another car, and considering that the car was restored by 1980, there is a good chance that it has not been scrapped.

There is, of course, the possibility that the car has been shipped to the good old U.S.A.   I would be very glad to receive any new information about this MG  M Type as it holds many fond memories for me.

Thank you.

Ray White.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for your interest, old car.   I have been with the MMM register for a number of years and they have been helpful in supplying the chassis number, color and build date. The Register have also tried to contact the last recorded owner, John Butt, on my behalf.  A number of attempts have been made to make contact - however there has been no response from the address given.  I would try to investigate the address for Mr Butt myself but the MMM register have a strict confidentiality policy and will not disclose it to me.  This would be fine but it has been many years since Mr Butt last made contact  with the Register but until they relax this rule I am stuck with this line of enquiry.

UW 5990 was the first car that I travelled in but I was a very young child at the time and don't remember that much about it.  The MG came into my father's possession needing major work.  He "stitched" a crack in the cylinder block and carried out a full engine rebuild while my Grandfather replaced the floor.  A slab tank had been fitted in place of the shaped tail and the windscreen, as can be seen, was a single piece fold down replacement for the original 'V' screen.  By 1980, these alterations had been reversed and the car restored. 

Interestingly, the photo, which had been in our family's possession for many years, had been folded as you can see.  When the full extent of the crowd became clear, I noticed there was someone on the right wearing an arm band.  On the original photo, the letters 'vsc' and 'marshal' are just visible.  I assumed this to be VSCC (Vintage Sports Car Club) and subsequently made enquiries with their archives.  They were able to confirm the location as being where my Dad had thought it was (but couldn't be sure after all these years) but although it was most definitely a VSCC event in 1950 they have no record of UW 5990.  I guess by that time, a 20 year old M type would not have been very competitive. 

Although my Dad has passed away, my search for information about the MG continues as it would be nice to tie up the loose ends, so to speak.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Ray White.