Is the Buick Avista the new Reatta?

waltmail

Meh. Looks like a nice enough car but there will not be another Reatta, nor should there be based on the financial results of the last attempt. I find it interesting they dispensed with the waterfall grille for the chrome mesh treatment (ala Jaguar). My big issue is that in the attempt to maintain a cohesive "brand" (and most all car makers are guilty of same) they have homogenized certain design cues that end up making all the models look too much alike.

And then there is the general trend in automotive styling that everyone is emulating many of the same ideas in the sweep of the roof line, the outlandish headlights now that LED has removed almost all limitations on size and shape (and the same is true of tail lamps) and even the shape of the grille cutouts. Look at that and then look at what Ford, Mazda, Jaguar and a few others are doing in terms of basic grille shape.

In the 70's and 80's everything was square or rectangular. And in hindsight it sucked. We have the same thing now just that instead of squares and rectangles a new set of base shapes and curves have become the preferred gemotric building blocks for nearly all cars. It's like those old green plastic drafting templates, or symbol libraries used in modern CAD work. Everyone is working from the same base toolset and so there is a lack of stand-out originality to be found save for a very few outliers.

The Reatta (and other unusual cars like the original Ford Taurus as just one example) was an outlier when it debuted. Look at it compared to other E platform cars that were it's contemporaries. Consider it's shape compared to other Buicks of the same era. It was a standout then and still is now. Of course, it wasn't a success in terms of sales or profits (very much the opposite in fact) but it was different enough to inspire a small but dedicated base of fans who carry it forward to this day.

The Avista, nice as it is with all of its modern conveniences and technology, doesn't really excite me. I see it as just another car in a crowded field of similar looking (to me anyway) entries. Of course, I'm not the type GM is concerned with for sales. I do it my way and follow no trends, so if this car is successful, it will not be on account of those who think like I do. I also won't buy a new car just on the pricipal that they cost far too much and depreciate much too quickly. I guess that makes me the proverbial "Baby Ruth" in the punch bowl but then so be it.

KDirk

Guest TommyRay

I hope the Avista doesn't loose the qualities that make a Buick a Buick - Like superb ride quality, and comfort, and luxury.  It's supposed to be built on a Corvette platform so they say, and may have 400 to 500 Horsepower.  Horsepower isn't everything.  It's the right amount and combination of qualities that makes a balanced sports car.  The Reatta doesn't have a lot of horsepower but I am amazed at how quick it is.  

Edited by TommyRay (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

one thing I've noticed driving a 2 seater (never owned one before),  is I notice other 2 seaters on the road when I see one.  The bmw one sticks out the most.

I need to maybe google a list of modern 2 seaters so I can learn what they are when I see them, lol