'39 Zephyr Fuel Tank Removal

wem

Has anyone out there removed the fuel tank from a Zephyr?  I have the mounting bolts removed and the filler neck and gas line disconnected.  I can't slide the tank right or left far enough for the opposite flange to lower past the frame rail.  It also bottoms against the trunk floor if I lift it up.  I would like to have it reconditioned, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Wally

Just did that last summer and what a bear to do. You are very lucky to have removed the three bolts without one or more of the caged nuts spreading the retainer and spinning. My problem was dirt and gravel sitting on the frame rail and not allowing the tank to slide far enough to one side to allow the lip on the other side to clear the rail. I cleaned, used high pressure air, then kicked at the tank to get it to fall. The exhaust system is also in the way on the right side. I just write it up to another "What were they thinking".

Thank you for the input.  This is the first car that I purchased that wasn't from a rust zone state.  (I'm in Wisconsin.)  I bought it partially restored from an estate in Nevada 10 years ago and am finally getting to the remainder of the restoration now that I'm retired.  The tank mounting bolts came out like it was put together last year!

I got the tank out this afternoon.  For anyone looking to do this, here's what I found out:  The inner fender just above the frame rail on the passenger side has a larger bulge to the outside of the car than the driver's side does.  This helps accommodate sliding the tank further to the right of the car to get the tank lip past the frame rail on the left (driver's) side.  I still need to use a long pry bar to force the tank as far over as possible (the shorter one I started with didn't give me enough force). 

Hope this helps!

Wally