1924 BUICK MASTER 6 PHAETON for sale

bob duffer

• 5 months later...

This car was owned by my Grandfather in the 1950's.  It was in the family until 1993.

He purchased it from a Buick turned Chevy dealership.  He enjoyed the car with our family for many years and into his retirement.  When my parents were married, they were driven from the Church to the reception in this car with the top down, with my Uncle as the driver.  I remember many rides and vacation trips in the car when I was young.  In this thread is a picture of me on the running board in the early 1970's.

After my Grandfather's passing, the car was sold and used in The Great Race twice by the new owner, in 1993 in the blue and black colors, and then again in 1995 when it was repainted in white and equipped with a spare rebuilt engine.

In January 2016 I purchased my Grandfather's car back.  The original engine came with it in a crate.  The other picture is of the car being unloaded at my house on a blustery but snow free day in January.

The car is in great shape but having been in storage since around 1995, it needs some TLC.  I am attending to that, but it still isn't running yet.

buick pictures (2).jpg

012916 1924 buick model 45 arrives (31).JPG

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, 1967 - 1997 Riviera said:

What was/is wrong with the original engine, now residing in a crate?

The story as it was relayed to me was, the original engine was removed to prevent any possible damage during the running of The Great Race.  I am not sure if they engine was used in the race in 1993, or if the second engine was used in both races in 1993 and 1995.  When I talked to the previous owner in 2011 (when the car was last for sale) he indicated the second rebuilt engine was built to put out around 100hp.  It has a 40lb lighter flywheel, new pistons and babbit bearings, and stainless steel valves.

The car was a low mileage original, except for the repaint.  When the car was sold out of my family, it had around 12,000 miles on it, so I assume the original engine has somewhere between 12,000-15,000 miles on it.  The original engine spins, but there are some parts missing.  I presume the missing parts were added to complete the replacement engine which is in the car now.