shockabsorbers on the Hup 20

Max BURKE

G,day Huppers. The brand name of the shockabsorber used on the long chassis Hup 20 is " FOSTER SHOCK ABSORBER"

Made by GABRIEL HORN Mfg Co. Cleveland Ohio. This can be found stamped on the link connecting the arms of 

the   device and  the mounting plate fixed under the U bolts atop of the spring. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

A rebound strap shock absorber may have been standard on the 1912, but it was not standard on the 1909-1911 Model 20.  The earlier Model 20  coupe and some or all touring cars had an accessory shock absorber, not strap but friction disc with metal arms.

I realize that Bill was the expert, but I would argue the point that shock absorbers were standard equipment on 1911 Model 20's.

A Google search for that year will show many cars, including period photos, and the runabouts for 1911 don't have shocks, nor do they have the mounting holes in the front frame rails for the shocks.

They may have been standard on 1912 Model 20's, I've not seen many of those, but my dealings with earlier ones points to shocks from 1909-1911 being limited in use, and mainly on coupes and tourings.

It's also interesting to note that in the May 1916 "Model 20 Service Parts List", shock absorbers are not even listed as a factory part.  This is unusual in that the parts list goes into great detail about every other part on the car. 

G day Huppers. I'm with you David in as much as I believe shock absorbers were not fitted at all to the Hupp 20 with the short

chassis but seem to have been universal on all of the long chassis jobs which are exactly 24 inches longer and have an extra

cross member amidships . Check your own examples David and it will be apparent that they are not friction disc rather the

friction is applied to the outer circumference of an oval centre piece mounted to the chassis. at rest there is no dampening

but with more movement the dampening increases due to the oval centre. Although I have seen some long chassis with out the units fitted the holes have been there in the chassis. You mention strap type "rebounders". Were they used on anything before the

twenties? I have the same edition of the parts book which has been tidied up by dropping from the list early parts like the

cone clutch used in model "A" and common to Little and Whiting as an exact exchange. Further the bolt on fan for the D touring

which fits into the front of the front cylinder block is omitted from the parts book as are many other earlier parts, only the

improved spec is listed Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

• 4 years later...
On 12/15/2015 at 7:04 PM, Max BURKE said:

G,day Huppers. The brand name of the shockabsorber used on the long chassis Hup 20 is " FOSTER SHOCK ABSORBER"

Made by GABRIEL HORN Mfg Co. Cleveland Ohio. This can be found stamped on the link connecting the arms of 

the   device and  the mounting plate fixed under the U bolts atop of the spring. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Does anyone have pictures or information about Foster Shock Absorbers?

Peter