1973 Stage 1 Resources and Identification

1FastC7

I know there have been some chatter about Stage 1 identification. Does anyone have any complete identification code references for the 73. Listing of number stampings and locations. I have a stage 1 car which shows true with the "W" vin as well as the original window sticker and options list. However, I am having trouble locating the "XA" stamp on the block. Can this be seen without removing exhaust manifolds on the drivers side of the engine. Where about is the vin stamped on the block and transmission?

The resources are scarce out there.

Hey  There C7, Congrats on the Stage. Is it a GS also? I ask because they were separate options. I'm afraid you can't find a place devoted to Stage 1 Riviera Resources. It's too bad, there were only 1200 built and we are lucky to have them. Mine is a straight up Stage 1 with no GS Option. Was Ordered that way.

Very unusual. The Skylark GS Stage Site has extensive info and I thought it would be nice for us to at least have a small section somewhere to register our cars and get definitive info on them. For now you have to snoop around and combine whats out there though the guys here are very knowledgable and Bob is very helpful.  I attached pics of my numbers so you can have an idea what you are looking for. Numbers are visible without much trouble except for the VIN on the Block which is going to be behind the AC Bracket and water pump, Pass. Side, but you need to get to it to check it and make sure it's the same as your VIN. XA Stamp  is on the block deck between the 3rd and 4th cyl. driver side just below the head. As far as I know this is the only place. Block VIN as described above. Trans should have VIN stamped on the upper side of the flange the pan bolts to. I think its on driver side but don't remember. Havn't been under there in a few months. This is all the Numbers I'm aware of after I've been researching mine for years. Good score on the window sticker, helps alot, I have mine also. I can't help but notice from your 1FastC7. Had to put up a pic of mine. Guess all us Stage guys think the same. If you need anything else, glad to help, drop a PM.

post-128539-0-75881200-1447409040_thumb.

post-128539-0-33139200-1447409268_thumb.

post-128539-0-45496900-1447409053_thumb.

post-128539-0-22063500-1447409095_thumb.

post-128539-0-71990100-1447409106_thumb.

Edited by Tder1 (see edit history)

I confirmed the "XA" is on the block. Thanks for the assistance. I will be checking the Vin stamps this weekend. Only thing I'm in need of is the stage 1 badge that was located on the grill. I've been looking high and low for the past few weeks. Was the badge specific to the year or can you cross reference them. Do they reproduce these?

I confirmed the "XA" is on the block. Thanks for the assistance. I will be checking the Vin stamps this weekend. Only thing I'm in need of is the stage 1 badge that was located on the grill. I've been looking high and low for the past few weeks. Was the badge specific to the year or can you cross reference them. Do they reproduce these?

Since you confirmed the "XA" on the block, I would not be worrying about vin numbers. I hate to say this, but this subject has been beat to death. We can only thank the people who produced the Corvette Bloomington Gold for all the hyperbole over numbers matching everything and this is my own opinion.

Now don't get wrong, if I were buying a used Stage 1, I would make sure it had the correct engine code, but I certainly would not get anal over checking

vin numbers.

In answer to your question about the Stage 1 emblem, Original Parts Group sells them, but you will have to look under the Skylark as Buick used the same one for both.

Bob Bonto 

Thanks again guys. What items were included as part of the GS package in 73? Heavy springs, shock upgrade and front and rear roll bars?

The GS option in 73 was a handling package which consisted of steel belted HR70-15 tires on heavy duty steel wheels or the chrome plated rally wheels if also ordered;HD front & rear springs along with HD front & rear shocks;rear stabilizer bar (front was standard); added acoustical insulation and the GS emblem.

Bob Bonto

Mine also had only the Stage 1 Option only and H2 Firm Ride. The GS would be A9. Glad you were able to find it. Seeing that you can see the XA I would be inclined to say the VIN will match. Everybody wants the peace of mind to know whats in their Riviera and have bragging rights.. Good Luck.